Chalkbeat, a nonprofit education news organization, is seeking a digital producer to manage the production of daily stories and larger projects.
As the digital producer, your job is to help produce high-impact journalism in collaboration with our team of reporters and editors in six bureaus across the country. We’re looking for someone with solid digital experience and a strong visual sensibility who is drawn to our mission. From Denver to Detroit, Memphis to New York, loyal Chalkbeat readers tell us our reporting helps them navigate efforts to improve schools in the country’s poorest communities.
You’ll be deeply involved in our daily operations, working with our editorial team to produce Chalkbeat stories in WordPress, managing our media library and using image editing tools and basic HTML/CSS to keep things looking sharp. You’ll take the lead on creating graphics, editing photos and videos, and experimenting with new types of storytelling. You’re also inaugurating this as a new role at Chalkbeat, and can expect to teach and learn on the job! Whether you’re building graphics to visualize how test scores have changed in Indiana or creatively packaging photos for our most important stories about immigrant students in Colorado, you help add context to critical conversations about education.
You’ll join a tightly-knit team responsible for audience and product development, and you’ll work closely with distributed teams across the Chalkbeat network as a full participant in our vibrant remote culture.
The key responsibilities for this role include:
● Produce thoughtful and engaging Chalkbeat stories in collaboration with our editorial team.
● Develop a robust library of documentation to answer frequently asked questions about our content management system and associated tools.
● Become an active participant in our editorial process, identifying stories that could be amplified by digital elements and taking initiative to lead conversations about story production.
● Manage and maintain Chalkbeat’s library of photos, videos, graphics and illustrations to include with our stories. Collaborate with editorial staff to develop style guides, standards and training to produce a consistent visual experience across all our locations and stories.
● Use WordPress, HTML/CSS, image editing and other digital production tools to solve issues, polish stories and keep our workflow running smoothly.
What qualifications we’re looking for:
● A passion for digital storytelling and the future of news.
● A strong sense of urgency on deadline.
● Deep attention to writing and editing detailed copy, including familiarity with AP style.
● Curiosity about education and a connection to our mission.
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to
covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to
improve schools for all children, especially those who have
historically lacked access to a quality education. We’re in five
locations — Colorado, Detroit, Indiana, New York, and Tennessee —
and growing. Read more about our mission and values.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Chalkbeat offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package, including a paid winter recess. This position can be based at one of our offices in New York, Denver, Detroit, Indianapolis or Memphis, or remote from anywhere in the United States.
How to apply:
Please send PDFs of your resume and cover letter explaining your
interest in the position, and three links to the digital
storytelling you’re most proud of to email@example.com. Include
“Digital Producer” in the subject line.
Chalkbeat is dedicated to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. Chalkbeat encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran status, sexual orientations, and marital statuses to apply.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.