Digital News/Photo Producer
The Hechinger Report
The Hechinger Report is looking for a Digital News/Photo Producer to help prepare stories and newsletters for publication and select and edit photos for stories.
The Digital News/Photo producer will join a small web team supporting staff and freelance writers and editors. We are not a breaking-news outlet; our aim is to provide deeply reported and insightful coverage of crucial issues faced by students, colleges and universities across the country. We are a collaborative newsroom distributed across the country.
This position will take the lead in preparing content for our website, working closely with editors and reporters. The job will also include extensive headline writing and SEO workshopping, with the guidance of the Web Editor. This position will assist the Multimedia Editor in taking and organizing photos, editing captions and selecting and preparing photos for use on our site and by partner publications.
A strong candidate will have some experience with photography and content management platforms. Experience in journalism is essential. Hechinger works in WordPress, Mailchimp, Google Suite and Analytics, Dropbox, Photoshop and Slack.
This position will be remote, based anywhere in the US. The Hechinger Report is an independent nonprofit, nonpartisan organization based at Teachers College, Columbia University, and this position includes the College’s comprehensive full-time benefits package, described here.
- Experience in journalism or at a new outlet at college or professional level
- Practical experience and/or training in photography
- Basic familiarity with Photoshop and other image editing tools
- Experience with WordPress, Mailchimp or similar other content platforms
- Understanding of photographic elements like composition, lighting and use of photo in journalism
- Bachelor’s degree or related experience
- Experience with Search Engine Optimization and keyword research.
- Understanding of photo ethics and sensitivity around photo subjects
- Experience with Google Analytics or other web and/or social analytics tools.
- Knowledge of K-12 and higher education issues
- Basic understanding of video editing
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.