Digital Editorial Manager, Communications
JFF - Boston, MA
JFF is a national nonprofit that drives transformation in the American workforce and education systems. For more than 35 years, JFF has led the way in designing innovative and scalable solutions that create access to economic advancement for all. Learn more about JFF and join us as we build a future that works.
About the position:
The Digital Editorial Manager is a sharp editor and writer who is integral in making JFF’s thought leadership and all of our digital content compelling and impactful. This position also manages the efficient development of the large volume of editorial content JFF produces, in collaboration with our subject matter experts, freelance editors, and the broader Communications team. The Digital Editorial Manager contributes to the organization’s marketing communications strategy and reports to the Associate Director, Editorial Services.
What you’ll do:
- Edit and write high-interest, high-impact content for multiple online channels and essential print products
- Co-create first-rate multimedia content to enhance digital and print products
- Tell stories; distill complex topics and analysis into readable, digestible content; show impact with clarity
- Assist in quality assurance efforts to ensure that all content meets JFF style, brand, voice, tone, and other guidelines
Strategic and Analytical Thinking
- Assist JFF’s subject matter experts in conceiving, framing, and developing digital content including blog posts, issue briefs, research publications, op-ed articles, marketing emails and campaigns, and social media
- Inform content marketing with SEO keywords
- Work with the Associate Director and the Digital Content team to measure the impact of JFF’s content and adjust content strategy accordingly
Management of Projects
- Manage the “editorial queue” of projects in Marketing Communications, using the organization’s web-based project management system
- Assess and assign editorial priorities in concert with the Associate Director and other Marketing Communications leads
- Engage and oversee an experienced group of freelance writers, editors, and proofreaders; provide content direction, review their work, and manage their availability, training, and workload
Who you are:
- You possess high energy and passion for JFF’s mission and the ability to apply JFF’s core values to all areas of your work. You have 5-7 years of experience working professionally to communicate with a variety of audiences, across disciplines and platforms. Journalism, publishing, editing, content marketing, or media preferred.
- You have experience working in education, business, research, tech, nonprofit, workforce development, or other relevant fields.
- You are an outstanding editor and excellent, efficient writer with the highest standards for quality, clarity, and accuracy.
- You are passionate about learning new subjects and communicating them simply and powerfully to all audiences.
- You ask incisive questions to help authors crystallize their key points and you provide clear, respectful feedback to help improve the writing of people at all levels of the organization.
- You have excellent time management and solid organizational and planning skills, with the ability to effectively prioritize projects and still meet competing deadlines.
- You value quality and quickness and recognize which to prioritize when.
- You take pride in finding the right phrase to make a headline sing and in fixing grammar, spelling, and punctuation to ensure error-free content.
- You are equally comfortable as an individual contributor and a collaborative team member. You work well independently and take initiative to try new ideas.
- You are fluent in Microsoft Office and eager to learn new tech tools. You have experience using Adobe Creative Cloud, content management systems for web editing and design, video and audio editing software (a plus).
- You model inclusive leadership, working effectively with diverse staff, and building and stewarding an organizational culture that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- You contribute to positive, effective, collaborative cultures, and teams wherever you work.
- You are a curious and adaptive learner, with a willingness to take in new information, perspectives, and data to inform your work.
- You demonstrate a growth mindset and a desire to continuously improve in your work and approach.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at JFF:
JFF is committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. JFF fosters a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience.
As part of your application, please submit your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample (under 1,200 words) here. The cover letter should outline how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and be addressed to Carol Gerwin, Associate Director, Editorial Services.
JFF offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience and skills.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.