Founded in 1977, EdSource is a highly-respected independent, nonprofit organization with the largest team of state-based education reporters in the nation. Our principal focus is on California, within the context of education reform and innovation nationally.
EdSource is seeking an experienced Development Manager to manage and expand its current philanthropic funding base.
Reporting to the Executive Director you will lead the charge of researching and identifying new sources of funding, many from foundation and corporate giving, while helping to maintain relationships with previous institutional funders in a growing nonprofit. As the Development Manager, you will be a seasoned grant writer with experience in managing proposals. This is an ideal position for a development leader with experience in the social service sector, seeking to contribute to a collaborative team and working to improve education outcomes in California.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research funding opportunities, and assist in composing proposals for grants ranging from 5-to-6 figures.
- Track and report to the Executive Director on progress of active grants and their deliverables.
- Work with executive Director and the Director of Operations to meet grant deadlines and identify new contracts.
- Monitor a portfolio of 12+ grants, contracts, and donations.
- Assist with writing all necessary reports for funders and maintain reporting timeline.
- Help in the fundraising strategy and effort; stay-up-to-date with the organization’s mission to educate current, previous, and prospective donors.
- Meet tight deadlines and be flexible in adjusting proposals or concepts as needed.
- Represent EdSource at funders’ meetings as needed.
- 3+ years of grant writing experience, specifically with foundation grant reporting and proposals.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Ability to manage a project from start to finish; availability to work nights, weekends, and events as needed
- Knowledge of education reforms in California and nationally a plus.
This is a half-time position (20 hours) based in Oakland, but applicants interested in a consultancy contract will also be considered.
Along with the opportunity to do meaningful work with a team of experienced journalists, EdSource offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a range of medical plans, a retirement savings plan, generous vacation leave and paid holidays, as well as professional development opportunities.
Send a cover letter, resume, contact information for three references, and three to four samples of your writing (such as proposals, letters of inquiry, and grant reports) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job title “Development Manager” in subject line. EdSource is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.