Chalkbeat, a nonprofit education news organization, is seeking a development manager to help us work more efficiently and effectively toward achieving our ambitious fundraising goals. Working closely with Chalkbeat’s development team and our CEO, the development manager will coordinate the day-to-day systems and operations of this team and will manage a diverse portfolio of fundraising projects. The right candidate will be smart, organized, and entrepreneurial, with strong communication, project management, and analytical skills. Previous development experience is not required; career changers with the qualifications below are encouraged to apply.
The key responsibilities for this role include:
● Managing the tasks and workflow of the development team by developing work plans, creating smart meeting agendas that help us execute effectively against multiple simultaneous deadlines and setting priorities based on weekly, quarterly, and annual goals.
● Reviewing budget needs for individual markets and tracking fundraising gaps by monitoring progress against our fundraising goals and working closely with the finance team to understand our fuller financial picture.
● Managing grant writing and reporting tasks by coordinating with other teams (finance, editorial, product) to ensure that our reporting is timely, accurate, and tells a compelling narrative about our impact.
● Managing internal evaluation and reporting of development work using Salesforce and internal tracking systems to assess progress and gaps.
● Helping to design and execute membership programs (e.g. reader donation campaigns, major donor programming).
● Drafting compelling development communications in the form of proposals, grant applications, development reports, funder and board materials, and emails to donors and supporters.
What qualifications we’re looking for:
● Bachelor’s degree with significant work experience or a Master’s degree in a related field.
● Proven project management and task management ability in a deadline-driven environment.
● Comfort reviewing budgets and other financial data.
● Superior attention to detail, with excellent analytical skills.
● Flexible and comfortable in a work environment where multitasking is the norm, the pace is fast, and priorities will evolve.
● Ability to write clearly and compellingly.
● Proficient with office software, primarily the Google Suite.
Bonus points if you’ve got:
● Experience using customer relationship management tools (Salesforce) and document management solutions (e.g. Dropbox, Google Drive).
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We’re in five locations — Colorado, Detroit, Indiana, New York, and Tennessee — and growing. Read more about our mission and values.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Chalkbeat offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package, including a paid winter recess. This position may be based in our New York City headquarters, Indianapolis bureau, or the Washington, D.C. area. We will consider a remote working arrangement for the right candidate. Periodic travel may be required.
Please send a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “development manager” in the subject line.
Chalkbeat is dedicated to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. Chalkbeat encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran status, sexual orientations, and marital statuses to apply.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.