Data Journalist, Great Divide
Boston Globe Media
The Boston Globe’s Great Divide team examines issues of race, class, and opportunities in public education in Boston and neighboring communities. The team of six reporters and one editor is funded in part by the Barr Foundation.
The Boston Globe is seeking a data journalist for its Great Divide education enterprise team. We’re looking for a strong reporter with experience acquiring, analyzing and visualizing data.
- Will work exclusively for the Great Divide team, scouring the education landscape for illuminating data, filing records requests, scraping, analyzing and visually representing data, and reporting and writing the related stories that engage and inform our readers.
- Will develop original ideas for stories and visualizations.
- Will bring numbers to life in the creation of datasets and custom visualizations for other members of the education team to complement our investigative reporting.
- Has a track record of producing accountability stories that have led to discernable change and shaped reforms.
- Ideally has knowledge of the local/national education landscape.
- Will pivot between breaking education news and short and longer-term enterprise projects that could take weeks or months to execute.
- Will annually participate in a handful of virtual events, which promote our stories, engage the community, and expand the audience for our journalism.
- At least 5 years of experience in journalism
- Experience with a programming-driven data analysis workflow is preferred, like experience with R or Python.
- Past experience with in-depth enterprise and investigative work is preferred
- Experience writing about education is preferred
- Spanish language skills a plus
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
- Adept in social media to engage with readers and promote our education coverage
- Team player who is willing to work closely and collaboratively with other members of the Great Divide team.
BGMP will require that all employees, including temporary employees, co-ops, and interns, regardless of work location, provide the company Human Resources team with proof of vaccination status through the secure system that will be provided for these purposes. For those who are not vaccinated for company-approved and verified medical and/or religious reasons, that same system will also allow you to upload required weekly COVID test results. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment
To apply, applicants should go here:
Boston Globe Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.