Nonprofit news and research org EdSurge is looking for a versatile part-time contract editor who is passionate and knowledgeable about the people and ideas that shape education—especially diverse voices within the education community.
The contract editor will assist with designing and co-leading a new fellowship program focused on recruiting and supporting a wide cross section of educators as they chronicle their school experiences throughout the year. This person will play an important role in helping the fellows publish their stories on EdSurge, acting not just as an editor but also as a story coach.
We welcome creative, confident and considerate storytellers who can help new or emerging writers shape their ideas into concise, well-structured and beautifully written articles for publication.
What makes you a great fit for this role?
- 5+ years professional editing experience for a media outlet. Experience with storytelling by and for underrepresented communities preferred.
- Comfort and familiarity working independently with non-professional writers.
- Strong organizational and managerial skills, including ability to manage multiple stories and writers at once.
- Superior interpersonal skills, including relationship building and interviewing.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion, and willingness to seek out a broad range of perspectives.
- A journalist’s eye for compelling essay storytelling.
- A flexible mindset, willingness to create and lead new programs and ability to pivot when necessary.
- A 20-25 hour weekly time commitment.
In this role you will
- Help design and support a cohort of diverse educators for a new grant-funded fellowship program.
- Manage ~3 fellows as primary point of contact, conducting regular check-ins and shaping story assignments with fellows.
- Guide fellows through the entire editorial process from pitch to publication, providing feedback and line edits when necessary.
- Assist in overall fellowship management, including designing professional development experiences and fostering connections between fellows.
- Occasionally edit non-fellowship, project related stories.
- Attend fellowship team meetings to discuss project.
- Write newsletter copy and other collateral relating to published stories and overall project.
- Write occasional reported bylined stories as part of the project if appropriate.
This is a part-time contract position through March 31, 2022 and is part of the Voices of Change series, a research and editorial project supported by the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative. Compensation is budgeted at $42,000 flat rate. EdSurge is an independent division of the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). ISTE/EdSurge is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.