Content Manager, Next Generation Learning Challenges
EDUCAUSE (http://www.educause.edu), a highly creative, entrepreneurial, national nonprofit association whose mission is to advance higher education through the use of information technology, invites applications for the position of Content Manager to support Next Generation Learning Challenges and its impact. This is a full-time, exempt position with the option to work remotely or from the Louisville, CO office. This position grant funded for 12 months with potential to extend beyond that term.
Please respond with cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying “Content Manager” in the e-mail subject line. Applicants are encouraged to use the cover letter to demonstrate their communication skills and identify the aspects of the position they are most passionate about.
The Content Manager is a key position within EDUCAUSE’s Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC), a leading catalyst for next generation learning school designs and pioneering models, and an increasingly influential national source of information on the design, implementation, and refinement of next gen learning practices.
The Content Manager takes on the role of journalist, participant-observer, content production manager and writer of next generation learning design and practice, in order to surface and document the problems of practice identified by the forward-leaning, innovative educators in the NGLC grantee network and the solutions they develop to address those problems. Content management provides two core functions: (1) generating direct support to NGLC grantees; and (2) field-building, to advance and strengthen the adoption of next gen learning across the U.S. The Content Manager works closely with the Knowledge Management Officer and the Director of K-12 Operations and in collaboration with other EDUCAUSE and NGLC staff.
About Next Generation Learning Challenges:
NGLC supports the educators who are reimagining public education. We help educator-leaders take what they know about learning and apply it toward the fundamental transformation of the traditional K-12 school model; we issue national challenge grants that enable practitioners to completely redesign their schools; we work with a range of national partners and practitioners to rethink professional learning so that it mirrors next gen student learning and to reimagine the role of assessment in support of learning; and we encourage strategies for the dissemination and growth of these educator-driven approaches.
NGLC is an initiative of EDUCAUSE, a nonprofit association whose mission is to advance higher education through the use of information technology. Funding for NGLC has been provided by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation, and the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, among other grantors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and lead a content management work plan for NGLC that meets content-related goals across NGLC’s various programs and projects, including but not limited to learning excursions, convenings, Twitter chats, research projects, and the Assessment for Learning Project, in collaboration with NGLC staff.
- Lead the research, writing, and multimedia production of new content emerging from NGLC grantees and NGLC’s programs and projects.
- Implement the bi-weekly Friday Focus practitioner-facing newsletter by creating and managing the editorial calendar and leading the research, writing, and multimedia production of content for this project.
- Assist and in some cases lead the production of additional products, such as web-pages, publications, videos, podcasts, blogs, articles for external publications and websites, presentations, and other forms of communication.
- Manage freelance contractors in the course of carrying out the content generation plan, as appropriate and necessary.
- Participate in and contribute to high-level, team-wide strategic development of NGLC projects, approaches, and staff structures and processes designed to deliver on team goals.
- Develop ongoing relationships with NGLC grantees and coordinate among NGLC staff the content-related requests of grantees with program-related interactions.
- Develop an ongoing industry knowledge of emerging trends, research, and practices within the field of K-12 education innovation to inform content management activities.
- Collaborate with the K-12 Director of Operations to ensure that content management, particularly the Friday Focus newsletter, aligns with and serves NGLC’s grantee support strategy; coordinate with the Knowledge Management Officer to ensure that content management aligns with NGLC’s field-building and overall communications strategy.
Collaborate with other NGLC staff on content curation and dissemination activities. This may include monitoring relevant RSS and news feeds; writing social media posts and implementing social media engagement strategies, especially during live events; drafting direct communications with grantees, influencers, and partners; drafting e-newsletters and blogs; and executing outreach plans for new products.
Education and Experience
- A baccalaureate degree; combination of education and experience will be considered
- A minimum of three years’ experience in similar or relevant field
- Prior experience with creating and managing education-focused content
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Requires strong communication skills (verbal and written); excellent storytelling and writing skills, with some background in journalism or another form of communications preferred
- Deep understanding of K-12 education and of current trends in education innovation
- Knowledge of and demonstrated capacity in all forms of social media, including LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook; experience in website design, multimedia/video production or graphic design a definite plus
- Requires intermediate to advanced computer skills; proficiency in Google products as well as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook required
- Requires effective and diplomatic interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to generate respect and trust from school leaders, teachers, and students as well as internal and external partners
- Demonstrated ability to actively and enthusiastically work in a collaborative manner with co-located and nationally distributed employees
- Ability to review, select, and manage subcontractors and project partners effectively and efficiently
- Excellent organizational and project management skills; demonstrated critical thinking and decision-making skills; ability to work independently on multiple projects at a time
- Must be available to travel once a month or more; willingness to travel to events, meetings, and conferences hosted by others in order to document and gather new content
EDUCAUSE offers a stimulating work environment and a staff who are dedicated to our mission. The Colorado-based location features a state-of-the-art facility with video and voice conference amenities. EDUCAUSE is comprised of site-located and remote employees with satellite offices across the United States.
The EDUCAUSE benefit package includes medical and dental insurance, employer paid life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts for health care and dependent care expense reimbursement, paid vacation, paid sick time, paid personal time, ten paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, and a retirement plan with employer contribution and 100% vesting upon enrollment.
EDUCAUSE is a fast-paced organization with an ambitious agenda and a staff that is committed to the mission. The Content Manager is part of a highly collaborative, mission-driven team that mixes an innovative spirit with flexibility, respect, and high expectations. The distributed team emphasizes team-building, communication, learning, and fun through regular virtual and face-to-face meetings and retreats; a variety of communication and planning tools helps the group stay connected daily. The Content Manager may experience high work demands under tight timelines. Working after hours and during weekends may be necessary. Travel to grantee sites for site visits and to support events and conferences will be required. The position may be fulfilled by an individual working remotely from a home office; remote employees are required to establish home office technical capabilities and connectivity to ensure effective telework.
EDUCAUSE requires background checks of all employment candidates. EDUCAUSE is an equal opportunity employer.
Telecommuting is allowed.
Additional Salary Information: Competitive
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.