Education Commission of the States
Who We Are:
Education Commission of the States partners with education policy leaders nationwide to address issues by sharing resources and expertise. We are proud to serve both the people who develop and implement education policy and the students who directly benefit from effective policy change. Every day, we provide education leaders with evidence-based information and opportunities for collaboration because informed policymakers create better education policy.
We have been named by The Nonprofit Times for three years in a row as one of the Top 50 Best Nonprofits to Work For. In the surveys conducted, Education Commission of the States’ employees expressed the strongest satisfaction in the categories of leadership and planning, role satisfaction, work environment, relationship with supervisor, pay and benefits, and overall engagement. We are an equal opportunity employer offering competitive salaries and an outstanding benefits package. Education Commission of the States’ provides an exciting intellectual environment, a collegial workplace, flexible hours and an organizational structure that encourages teamwork.
Who You Are:
A Communications Specialist works with the Education Commission of the States’ Director of Communications to deepen and refine all aspects of communications, with the goal of creating a stronger brand for the organization. This position will perform under the supervision of the Director of Communications at Education Commission of the States.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as a member of the Communications Team and work with the Director of Communications to develop and execute communications-related tasks.
- Edit a variety of documents — including policy reports, proposals, blog posts, presentations and other written and electronic material — for message accuracy, organization and AP style.
- Gather relevant content, draft, copy edit and distribute electronic newsletters that engage constituents and build the organization’s reputation.
- Contribute to social media strategy, assist in content development and analyze ongoing impact.
- Assume active role in preparing all communications-related materials for several annual national conferences.
- Maintain up-to-date web content, including updating text and graphics.
- Identify, regularly monitor and analyze metrics for measuring success of communications efforts.
- Use data to develop and implement strategies to improve communications and outreach efforts.
- Perform other duties as required.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in communications, public relations, journalism or related field.
- Proficient in use of digital software and technology, including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, TweetDeck/Buffer, Wordpress and Mailchimp.
Compensation and Benefits:
Education Commission of the States offers competitive compensation and benefits, including health, dental, life, long term disability, vision insurance, a flexible spending account, a health reimbursement account and a yearly contribution to your 403b retirement plan. This position is located in Denver, CO. The salary range for this position is commensurate with experience.
Applying for the Position:
To be considered for this position, please send a resume and cover letter e-mail to Kate Haggerty/ firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Communications Specialist” in the subject line.
Deadline to apply: All applications must be received by close of business on Wednesday, February 12, 2020.
Education Commission of the States is an equal opportunity employer that believes in developing and supporting a diverse work force.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.