Education Resource Strategies (ERS)
Demand for Education Resource Strategies (ERS) publications and tools is growing rapidly, increasing our opportunities to contribute to national and local conversations on education reform. Therefore, we are seeking a highly qualified Communications Specialist who has great writing and proofreading skills, including the ability to quickly summarize complex material in short, accessible formats, an eye for design, and a creative approach to distributing our work.
The Communications Specialist will have the opportunity to work with a high performing communications and partnerships team, supporting a wide range of ongoing communications activities including but not limited to writing, editing, managing graphic design vendors, and social media. This position is a unique opportunity to be part of a growing, collaborative organization that is driving transformational change in public education. ERS has a strong professional learning community. As such, we place teamwork, initiative, and a desire to learn and grow at a premium.
This is a permanent, full-time position in our Watertown, MA office. The main areas of responsibility include:
- Proofread and edit white papers, issue briefs and publications, looking for consistency, clarity and accuracy
- Support teams in the process of writing, revising, editing and designing publications
- Liaise with graphic designer and printer for publications
- Write grant proposals and reports, as needed
Distribution & promotion
- Draft and create layout for monthly email newsletter
- Regularly create content for social media platforms
- Support distribution efforts through research and planning
- Update and support use of ERS templates (Word, PPT, etc.)
- Take basic video and photos at ERS events, and organize collection of photos from the field
- Advanced writing and proofreading skills, including ability to quickly summarize complex material into short, accessible formats
- Sharp design eye; can work with graphic design vendors to ensure that materials are visually interesting and clear to the audience
- User experience mindset; ability to consider content from multiple perspectives
- Creative thinker, especially in the realm of distribution strategies
- Customer service and solutions-oriented
- Ability to take direction and escalate challenges, as needed
- Quick learner for both skills and content
- Professional communications skills to act as a liaison to outside vendors.
- Strong interpersonal skills, positive attitude, and ability to work well in a team environment
- Highly self-motivated and willing to proactively take on additional responsibilities as needed
- Must have strong organizational skills, be detail-oriented, flexible, and able to prioritize and handle multiple, deadline-driven tasks effectively and efficiently
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to ERS’ mission exemplified through professional background or community involvement
- Bachelor’s degree required
About Education Resource Strategies (ERS)
Education Resource Strategies is a non-profit strategy consulting firm dedicated to helping large urban public school systems organize talent, time, and money to create great schools at scale. Our mission is to transform urban education by helping leaders at the federal, state, and local level strategically use resources to dramatically improve teaching and learning. We (1) analyze district spending, human resources, school organization and performance data (2) collaborate with leaders of large urban school districts to rethink the use of resources to improve student performance (3) leverage resource analysis to design new ways to allocate and organize resources at the district and school level.
ERS has partnered with more than 20 school districts, including 13 of the nation’s 100 largest. In addition to deep district consulting engagements, ERS strives through our non-profit mission to be a catalyst for school system improvement through participation in education reform networks, broad dissemination of our findings, and the development of tools practitioners can use to create change in their districts. To learn more about the School Design practice area, please visit our website at www.erstrategies.org.
Benefits of Working at ERS
- Opportunity for impact: ERS works with some of the largest, most influential and innovative districts in the country to truly transform their practices. Your work will change the lives of thousands of students.
- Entrepreneurial spirit: As a small organization, we are continuously improving, and we encourage innovative ideas, honest feedback, and constant learning.
- Collaborative work environment: We do most of our work in teams. We bring our collective wisdom and expertise to everything we do, often tapping the expertise and leadership of colleagues across the organization.
- Healthy work/life balance: We support every member of the ERS team in integrating meaningful work and professional growth with a health personal life throughout his or her career.
Interested in joining the ERS team? Please submit your resume and thoughtful cover letter to Carson Aufmuth at email@example.com.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.