Communications Manager w/ Education-Reform P.R. Firm
Are you interested in pursuing a career in communications at a national level? Are you passionate about helping innovative organizations make great impact on our nation’s schools? Does an organization with a diverse and high-profile client base that will provide great opportunities for professional growth and good compensation sound appealing? Then read on:
Larson Communications is a growing public relations firm that has developed a reputation as the nation’s premiere public education reform communications organization. With offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles and Nashville, we serve clients across the country as they do positive work with millions of children and families.
Our small, seasoned team has over eight decades of experience in raising the visibility of great organizations, including some of the most innovative charter school and education reform organizations in the country. We celebrate this cause, our spirit of collaboration, and are looking to bring aboard a self-motivated, highly skilled Communications Manager to join our team.
As Communications Manager, your job duties will include:
- Acting as the primary support with clients, continually working with the account executives to foster strong relationships and deliver results for clients.
- Drafting, editing and finalizing communications materials to internal and external audiences (e.g. news releases, pitches, fact sheets, talking points, presentations, etc.)
- Mentoring and managing the daily work of support staff, including managing the intern program.
- Working with top-tier media outlets in the education and policy beats, including managing media relationships on our clients’ behalf.
- Overseeing the firm’s systems, including media contact database, time tracking system, expense management system, etc.
- Developing ongoing strategies and overseeing execution for the firm’s social media channels.
- Engaging in the firm’s new business development process, including doing background research and drafting business proposals for prospective clients.
- Staying updated on the latest cutting edge trends in public relations as well as being an active participant in the education reform movement.
- Serving as ambassador of Larson Communications when networking with clients and professional peers.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- 2 – 4 years of experience the public relations or public policy arenas. Direct experience pitching to media is a plus.
- Direct experience working with charter schools or other organizations in the education reform space is a plus.
- Social media management experience for Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Public Relations, English, Marketing, Business Administration, Public Policy or a related field.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- A team player with a collaborative spirit and demonstrated experience in leading team projects.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines with an eye for detail.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, social and digital media tools as well as Cision.
This position will be based in San Francisco and report directly to the firm’s senior account executive. Send resumes with heading ‘Communications Manager –SF’ along with a cover letter. Please no phone calls.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.