National College Access Network (NCAN)
Director of External Relations
EFFECTIVE DATE: June 2018
NCAN’s communications manager helps deliver key messages and information to audiences including NCAN members, stakeholders in the field of college access and success, policymakers, and the media. Subject matter includes national and state policies that support postsecondary completion for historically underrepresented students as well as effective strategies for K-12 schools, colleges, nonprofit organizations, and communities to increase college access and success. This position is an excellent opportunity for an individual committed to advocating for equitable outcomes in education for students of color, low-income students, immigrants, and first-generation college-goers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage content of NCAN’s main communication channels, including weekly and quarterly e-newsletters, social media platforms, blog, and website.
- Monitor the growth of NCAN’s communications based on website traffic, e-newsletter readership, Twitter engagement, etc., and use data to recommend improvements to communication strategies.
- Plan and edit weekly blog posts/newsletter articles from NCAN staff, members, and outside contributors.
- Write frequent social media posts and occasional blog posts and op-eds.
- Manage media relations including responding to interview requests, pitching story ideas, and placing op-eds.
- Support marketing of NCAN opportunities including membership, events, advocacy activities, online learning, periodic regrants, and consulting services.
- Contribute to strategic communication planning including identification of target audiences and message development.
- Manage outside vendors, including graphic designers, and a communications intern as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, JOB KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Position requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree; familiarity with college access/success, underserved students, or higher education reform issues; and 2-5 years of related professional experience. Must be an analytic thinker, facile researcher and a fluid, clear, and confident writer, able to work on multiple tasks with short time frames and limited editing. Journalism, media relations, government affairs, or higher education policy experience a plus. Requires knowledge of Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint), social media tools, and experience with basic web content management. Periodic travel required; must have a valid in-state driver’s license for local travel.
CONTACT WITH OTHERS
The communications manager must be able to work with and around others from a myriad of backgrounds on a daily basis. Those people include, but are not limited to, employees of all levels within the organization, NCAN board members, NCAN members, the media, school and community leaders, consultants, policymakers, and vendors.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to hr(at)collegeaccess.org. The position is open until filled, but applications submitted by July 6, 2018, will receive priority consideration. No phone calls, please.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.