The Education Trust
The Education Trust seeks a Communications Manager to support the work of the organization’s Government Affairs & Communications division. Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Communications Manager will work alongside Ed Trust’s content teams to develop and execute communications activities to further advance the organization’s advocacy goals.
About the Organization
The Education Trust promotes high academic achievement for all students at all levels — pre-kindergarten through college. Our goal is to close the gaps in opportunity and achievement that consign far too many young people — especially those who are Black, Latino, Native, or from low-income families — to lives on the margins of the American mainstream. We work alongside parents, educators, policymakers, and community and business leaders across the country in transforming schools and colleges into institutions that serve all students well. Lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, shape our state and national policy agendas. For additional information on The Education Trust, please visit www.edtrust.org.
The Communications Manager’s responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Devise and implement comprehensive communications strategies to maximize press coverage and drive more users to our online advocacy tools.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with a comprehensive list of relevant national reporters, editors, bloggers, producers, and columnists.
- Generate positive media coverage in new and creative ways.
- Actively monitor, track, and circulate relevant media coverage.
- Prepare Ed Trust spokespeople for media interviews and public appearances;
- Shape Ed Trust’s messaging to ensure effectiveness and consistency.
- Identify and take advantage of opportunities to disseminate our messages widely and position Ed Trust as a leading advocacy group pushing for educational justice:
- Write and edit, in collaboration with other Ed Trust staff, communications materials; including press releases, blog posts, statements, opinion pieces, fact sheets, talking points, and other communications materials for public dissemination;
- Participate as a leading member of our web team by ensuring that our content is timely;
- Provide technical assistance on media relations and campaign communications to state advocates;
- Develop and implement metrics for assessing the impact of our communications efforts.
Qualifications and Experience
Candidates should enjoy working in a dynamic, results-oriented environment in which expectations are high for both the quality and speed of work. In addition, we are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- At least eight years of demonstrated experience in media relations or a related field with demonstrated ability to forge and maintain relationships with journalists. Experience in an education policy or other issue advocacy environment is required.
- Proven experience creating and implementing multifaceted, integrated communications plans;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills. Proven experience drafting media materials and other public documents including press releases, fact sheets, and op-eds;
- The ability to prioritize and multi-task in a demanding, strategic, fast-paced environment;
- The ability to work independently with limited supervision. Flexible, with the ability to routinely juggle multiple competing priorities and work with content teams to meet deadlines.
- Solid follow-through and attention to detail;
- Strong computer skills and experience with public relations management software — such as Vocus, Cision, and LexisNexis — is preferred; knowledge of WordPress is a plus;
- An understanding of the role of communications in achieving advocacy goals and policy change;
- At least an undergraduate degree, a graduate degree is preferred; and
- The ability to speak Spanish is a plus.
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for low-income students and students of color, and an unwavering belief that these students could be much more successful if schools better served them;
- Self-starter mentality and the ability to work independently;
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence;
- Healthy respect for colleagues;
- Goal-oriented, project-oriented, and achievement-oriented;
- Strong sense of honor and integrity; and
- A warm, personal style with a good sense of humor.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Please provide a cover letter and resume to be considered for this position. You must combine your cover letter and resume into one document and upload that document. Our application system will not allow you to upload more than one file. To begin the application process, click this link: https://edtrust.org/jobs/communications-manager-2/
The Education Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.