BPE’s mission is to drive exceptional outcomes for all students by developing great teachers and great schools. For three decades, BPE (formerly the Boston Plan for Excellence) has devised solutions to the toughest challenges faced by Boston’s students and teachers by weaving together expertise in teacher training and school development. We believe ambitious teaching (which we define as instruction that consistently engages all students in rigorous content) requires not only effective teachers, but also systems that support great teaching and methods for continuous improvement. We have prepared over 500 teachers for Boston’s public schools through the nationally recognized and replicated Boston Teacher Residency program. And we have pioneered scalable, cutting edge data tools and whole school improvement strategies. Today, we are redesigning schooling for students and teachers by creating neighborhood-based Teaching Academies, which are in-district, PreK-12 schools which provide a world-class education for all students while preparing outstanding new teachers for the Boston Public Schools. We launched our first Teaching Academy, the Dudley Street Neighborhood Charter School, in 2012, and will operate the Dearborn STEM Academy beginning in September 2015. In 2013, we created the Dudley Promise Corps to leverage the power of national service to expand learning time, engage families, and provide academic support to students in the Dudley neighborhood.
BPE is seeking to hire a full time Communications Manager to raise the visibility of our organization and our programs. We are looking for someone with at least 3 years of experience in a similar role. The Communications Manager will be part of the Development team, reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer.
- Writing and executing a bi-monthly electronic newsletter
- Developing marketing materials to assist with development, to include print and video
- Managing content updates and ongoing improvements to the BPE and BTR websites
- Writing and editing press releases, external communications, and other documents
- Supporting BPE events, especially those related to development
- Coordinating media engagement to promote our work and for special events
- Managing and expanding BPE’s social media presence
- Managing BPE brand alignment in all external materials
- Managing contacts in SalesForce
- Assisting with external relations as needed, including site visits
- Strengthening BPE’s internal communications across all programs
- Developing templates and technical solutions for streamlined communications
- Providing editorial support and guidance to staff to improve consistency and impact of external communications
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least 3 years of experience in a similar role, or 2 years of experience plus a Master’s degree in a relevant field
- Knowledge of non-profits and public education preferred
SKILLS AND QUALITIES
- Superior writing and editing skills
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to quickly learn and synthesize nuanced information, translating it for varied audiences
- Ability to work independently and manage projects across various parts of the organization
- Experience with, or ability to learn new web, social media, and e-communications technologies
- Basic graphic design and web editing skills preferred
Please visit http://bpe.atsondemand.com/ to submit an application for consideration.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
BPE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.