This is a full-time position. Location is flexible but Nashville, TN is preferred with some travel expected.
Who We Are:
Instruction Partners is a team of educators guided by a simple belief: you should be able to walk into any classroom and see every student engaged in the kind of challenging, inspiring, and supportive learning that will open doors and help them reach their potential. We believe this vision can be a reality for every child, in every classroom, in every school, in every district.
What We Do:
We believe if we can unlock the practical actions that have powered student growth and translate it into effective support for educators, we can get better faster, together, and make every classroom a place of great learning that prepares students for successful, rewarding lives. We do this by working shoulder-to-shoulder with teachers and leaders to improve the quality of instruction in core academics. Specializing in small schools and districts, we work in two ways: through partnerships with districts and schools to assess and pursue options for instructional improvement, and by providing teachers and leaders with targeted support to solve the real-world instructional challenges they face in their classrooms.
The Communications Lead will guide our effort to communicate our work and findings to districts, educators and partners. Frequent writing to a variety of audiences will be the crux of the position’s responsibilities. The position demands a self-motivated, insanely detail-oriented person who is comfortable helping with many aspects of communications across the organization but above all an excellent writer, capable of taking complex content and explaining it in an understandable way with interest and appeal. Some knowledge of education is ideal; however, we are not looking for another wonk – we want someone who cares about getting the story right. The Communications Lead will report to the Chief Growth Officer.
- Draft organization-wide communications, including white papers, annual report, quarterly newsletters, website copy, announcements
- Serve as editor for large scale communications like district announcements, teacher communications, and toolkits of standard communication for staff
- Support the CEO on broader communications efforts including key messages, staff training, blogging, and conference presentations
- Create PowerPoints on our strategy and findings
- Work with state Executive Directors on their communications efforts within their state
- Assist with grant language and fundraising materials
- Draft and edit outreach language to external partners as well as support the Chief Growth Officer with outreach approach strategy
- Manage our style guide, train new team members on communications and keep it living across the organization
- Review copy for various public communications and assist with copy editing on key projects (i.e. RFPs)
- Work with press and news contacts to advance our media strategy
- Personally, or with help from a coordinator, manage our social media accounts, send emails, and curate contact lists
- Manage consultants to update our website and brand and spearhead brand management and upkeep
Candidate Qualifications and Traits:
- Minimum 5 years communications and/or writing experience
- Some education experience and instructional frame of reference, either as a former teacher, writing about education or working with educators
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Insane attention to detail
- Flexible mindset – excited to wear multiple hats and eager to take on new projects and responsibilities as needs arise
- Highly organized, with an affinity for project planning and a knack for managing and supporting others
- Experience building positive relationships with diverse team members and stakeholders
- Commitment to our mission of excellent daily instruction for all students
- Ability to travel nationally as needed and to team retreats bi-annually
Instruction Partners’ Core Values:
- We are optimists: We believe that every student can succeed and that educators, with the right supports, can lead them to success. We aren’t scared of challenges, but have the courage and sense of possibility to overcome obstacles while holding high expectations and maintaining a sense of possibility for students, educators, and ourselves.
- We are learners: We know there are always ways to improve. We believe our long-term success is a result of how well we learn. We seek to understand the best of what is known, we reflect on successes and challenges and we always look for ways we can grow.
- We are big-hearted: We care deeply about each other and our work, and we know we can accomplish more together than alone. At all times, we communicate with kindness and empathy. We value diverse perspectives and honor individuality. We operate with no egos.
- We are relentless: We pursue excellence by setting ambitious goals, working hard to overcome obstacles and boldly trying new things to ensure each student learns at a high level.
- We are practical: We believe support should be thoughtful by meeting people, schools, and districts where they are. We look for ways to work smart, focus on the most relevant impact, and reduce friction to make it easier to take action.
- We are direct: We honor each other by being honest, even when it is difficult. We are straightforward about what we know and what we do not. Our respectful directness allows us to align our relationships and conversations toward our shared goals.
Compensation is competitive with charter and nonprofit sector positions and is commensurate with experience. Detailed information about the organizational compensation philosophy is available upon application. Competitive benefits and private retirement investment options are available, as well as a generous vacation policy.
How to Apply:
To apply, please complete the application at http://instructionpartners.applytojob.com/apply/xrsMPKkYYB/Communications-Lead. To learn more about Instruction Partners, visit our website at www.instructionpartners.org and follow us on Twitter at @InstructUP.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.