California Teacher’s Association
The California Teachers Association is a not-for-profit labor union representing public school educators and education support professionals. The Communications Consultant delivers critical information to CTA’s members, the media, and the public in line with the organizational mission and goals. The primary role of the Communications Consultant is to develop and deliver best-in-class communications materials. As an integral part of the Communications team, the Communications Consultant is also responsible for the development and execution of strategic communications plans, trainings for members and staff and working closely with the news media to promote the work of CTA and its members.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works under the direction of Communications Management.
- Develops and maintains ongoing relationships with statewide news media to effectively pitch and secure coverage of stories and/or events and priority topics for the Association.
- Responds to daily calls and routine requests for print and digital media.
- Develops daily news clips and tracking reports for internal Association distribution.
- Prepares news releases and materials for media use.
- Works closely with regional Communications Consultants and the Assistant Manager in executing the department’s external earned media program.
- Initiates regional articles and other content for CTA.org and other publications.
- Writes talking points and speeches for leaders.
- Takes photos and shoots video to accompany articles and/or press releases.
- Assists CTA chapters with crisis communications.
- Attends meetings and conferences as necessary and as assigned.
- Provides media relations, message development, legislative and political action communications, and other communications trainings at various CTA conferences.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- BA degree or higher in communications-related field.
- Skill and experience in dealing with all media in traditional and crisis situations; long-standing relationships with California news media preferred.
- Skill and experience as an advocacy writer.
- Ability to research thoroughly and accurately.
- Skilled in using social media and digital communications to pitch news stories and monitor coverage and trends.
- Ability to work on several projects at a time, under pressure and with tight deadlines.
- Experience in working crisis situations, including strikes and political campaigns.
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as individually.
- Broad understanding of the issues facing public schools and the education profession.
- Experience working with coalition partners on high profile labor and governmental matters, and campaigns.
- Experience with Windows PC environment, Microsoft Office, media databases; Cision, Salesforce a plus.
- Understanding of professional organizations and unions.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California driver’s license.
- Ideal candidate will be a self-starter, resourceful and highly motivated.
To view the complete job description and apply, visit the job
posting on the CTA career center:
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.