Communications Associate Part Time
NYC Leadership Academy
NYC Leadership Academy is a nationally recognized nonprofit organization that builds the capacity of educational leaders, at every level of the system, to confront inequities and create the conditions necessary for all students to thrive. Since 2003, NYCLA has worked with educators in 150 public school districts, charter and parochial schools, state departments of education, universities, foundations, and nonprofit organizations across 32 states, Washington, D.C. and three countries.
We are firmly committed to preparing and supporting educational leaders so they can catalyze and sustain effective change across their organizations and educate students effectively. We do this by building the capacity of education systems across the country to develop and support their own leaders and bringing a standards-based and social justice-rooted approach to leadership development.
The NYC Leadership Academy is seeking a part-time communications associate to support a variety of print, video, and web-based external and internal communications projects, including but not limited to blogs, articles, press releases, videos, op-eds, annual reports, white papers, and emails to supporters.
This person must exhibit flexibility, and be able to execute all work with great detail and be adaptable to changing priorities. This is a part-time position reporting to the Senior Director of Communications.
- Conduct research online and through interviews on our work and that of the educational leadership field
- Generate story ideas
- Write articles that are detailed, accurate, and compelling
- Support distribution of communications projects by posting on website, sending mass emails, or coordinating printing
- Manage website by maintaining an up to date content schedule for the site and updating content as needed to keep the site fresh and current
- Work with Senior Director of Communications to develop social media strategy
- Support implementation of social media strategy, regularly posting on social media
- Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of 2 years work experience, preferably in journalism, communications, or education policy/research in a team oriented environment
- Strong research skills: ability to find information through online research and to conduct interviews
- Exceptional writing skills
- Social media savvy: some knowledge of how to use Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn to promote organizational interests
- Website management skills: some knowledge of how to manage website content and willingness to learn web content management system
- Commitment to our organization’s mission that all children should have equal access to education particularly in underserved communities.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Ability and commitment to work collaboratively
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
Salary & Position Details
NYC Leadership Academy offers a competitive pay commensurate with experience, a flexible part-time work schedule estimated at 3 days per week, with a minimum of 24 hours per week. For those living in the Metropolitan NY tri-state area, consideration will be given to working remotely.
The NYC Leadership Academy is conveniently located in Long Island City, Queens only 8 minutes from Manhattan and is easily accessible via multiple subway lines, (E, 7, G, &M lines) buses and the LIRR.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, writing sample and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title in the subject line of your e-mail application. Your cover letter should include how you learned of the position, your salary requirements and why you are applying for a communications associate position at NYC Leadership academy.
We believe that diversity of all kinds within our staff contributes to our team’s effectiveness and to our overall success.
The NYC Leadership Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.