Communications and Public Relations Director
Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (Parcc Inc.)
REPORTS TO: Chief of State Engagement and Outreach
EFFECTIVE DATE: January 2016
The Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (Parcc Inc.) is seeking a Communications Director responsible for spearheading strategic initiatives and planning, coordinating, and managing Parcc Inc.’s public relations and strategic communications program. This position is based in Washington, DC. The Communications Director reports directly to the Chief of State Engagement and Outreach. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Communications Director is responsible for the overall planning, organization, and direction of Parcc Inc.’s communication strategies and public information activities. The Director is responsible for leading Parcc Inc.’s external communications strategy to support successful implementation of the assessment program in states and promoting its core values nationally. This candidate must lead an effective communications strategy reaching state and national media, policymakers and their communications staff, philanthropic funders, state and national partner organizations, and key education policy influencers.
The Communications Director is responsible for fostering and maintaining relationships with news media, editors, reporters, partner organizations, state and federal governmental officials and their staff (when relevant). A successful candidate will foster greater awareness about PARCC; its unique value to K-12, postsecondary education and the business community; and its role in states’ broader K-16 education reform agendas.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Planning, organizing, and directing overall communication strategies and public information activities.
- Managing, planning, directing, and implementing a proactive communication program to enhance the reputation of PARCC and its visibility.
- Overseeing internal and external communications and presentations, in coordination with the managing staff of PARCC divisions and key state leaders
- Setting the standard of quality and overseeing quality control of all PARCC publications and major external communications
- Overseeing PARCC’s digital communication work, including the content for multiple Websites, social media, and newsletter.
- Coordinating and overseeing press activities, such as press releases, media events, and responding to media requests.
- Overseeing and maintaining national and state media relationships. Cultivate new relationships as appropriate.
- Identifying communications needs for PARCC and developing and implementing annual strategic communication plans that include goals, activities, tactics, materials, and performance indicators.
- Developing strategy for working closely with PARCC state public information officers/communications directors to coordinate messaging and support state communications efforts around PARCC.
- Participate in annual strategic planning with the PARCC CEO and management team.
REQUIREMENTS: EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
- Minimum 7-10 years’ experience in marketing, communications or public relations with demonstrated success in K-12 and/or higher education
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, public relations, communications or related field required
- Demonstrated understanding of national and state level education policy issues
- Ability to handle multiple projects under time and resource pressure
- Detail and results-oriented, with strong knowledge of budget processes, contracts management and evaluation of outcomes analysis
- Comprehensive knowledge of media operations and expertise in public relations
- Proven ability to develop communication strategies related to organizational policies in collaboration with a diverse team
- Ability to increase media exposure in news media, in print, broadcast and online, including effective use of social media
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Occasional out-of-town, overnight travel is required
To apply, please visit http://parccinc.org/careers/
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.