National College Access Network
JOB TITLE: Communication Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of External Relations
EFFECTIVE DATE: February 2016
NCAN’s new communication manager will help deliver key messages and information to audiences including NCAN members, stakeholders in the field of college access and success, policymakers, and the media. Subject matter will include national and state policies that support postsecondary completion for historically underrepresented students as well as effective strategies for K-12 schools, colleges, nonprofit organizations, and communities to increase college access and success. This new position is an excellent opportunity for an individual committed to advocating for equitable outcomes in education for students of color, low-income students, immigrants, and first-generation college-goers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage content of NCAN’s main communication channels, including weekly and quarterly e-newsletters, Twitter, and website.
- Monitor the growth of NCAN’s communications based on website traffic, e-newsletter readership, Twitter engagement, etc., and use data to recommend improvements to communication strategies.
- Write weekly blog posts/newsletter articles primarily on policy topics and related NCAN initiatives.
- Manage media relations including responding to interview requests, pitching story ideas, and placing op-eds.
- Market NCAN opportunities including membership, events, advocacy activities, online learning, periodic regrants, and consulting services.
- Contribute to strategic communication planning including identification of target audiences and message development.
- Manage outside vendors as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, JOB KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Position requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree; familiarity with college access/success, underserved students, or higher education reform issues; and 2-5 years of related professional experience. Must be an analytic thinker, facile researcher and a fluid, clear, and confident writer, able to work on multiple tasks with short time frames and limited editing. Journalism, media relations, government affairs, or higher education policy experience a plus. Requires knowledge of Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint), social media tools, and experience with basic web content management. Periodic travel required; must have a valid in-state driver’s license for local travel.
CONTACT WITH OTHERS
The communication and advocacy manager must be able to work with and around others from a myriad of backgrounds on a daily basis. Those people include, but are not limited to, employees of all levels within the organization, NCAN board members, NCAN members, the media, school and community leaders, consultants, policymakers, and vendors.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.