Business Planning Strategist
How to Apply: Send your resume and cover letter with the subject line “Application – Business Planning Strategist” to email@example.com. A member of our team will reach out within two weeks if you’re selected to move forward.
EdSolutions is an education-focused strategy and innovation consulting firm dedicated to generating social impact through educational markets. We help non-profits, foundations, social enterprises, and investors center education innovation and philanthropy efforts on underserved students, increase the diversity of education leadership and scale proven innovations to reach the students who will benefit most from them.
About This Role
You will be helping to drive strategic business planning for The Center for Education Market Dynamics (CEMD). CEMD is a growing organization/platform designed to provide district leaders and non-profits with K-12 data, contextualized research insights, and advisory services that help them make decisions that generate equitable outcomes for students.
We are currently seeking a consultant to engage in a 4-5 month project (~20 hours/week) that has the potential to lead to additional part-time or full-time work.
The selected candidate will be expected to:
- Help shape the business plan and go-to-market strategy as the organization grows. Specific activities include (but are not limited to) a deep analysis of the current organization and products, customer needs, and the market and competitive landscape.
- Plan, organize, and lead a multi-part project from start to finish through exceptional project management skills.
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative analyses and synthesize findings into meaningful, actionable insights.
- Manage and direct contributors (e.g., research associates, business analysts, subject matter experts), and understand how to best weave contributions into a cohesive final product.
- Incorporate input from multiple stakeholders and mobilize groups toward common and ambitious goals.
- Demonstrate the capacity to prioritize, ensuring time is spent on the highest leverage actions.
- Communicate clearly and efficiently (in writing, speaking and presenting).
Required Skills & Experience
- Passion for generating social impact.
- 10+ years of experience in strategy consulting, business planning, product strategy development, product management, product marketing or related fields (preferably in organizations operating at the intersection of technology and advisory services).
- Understanding of business models (and market forces) for research and advisory platforms that aggregate, analyze, and disseminate information (e.g., Gartner).
- Strong strategic thinking, ability to anticipate future consequences and trends and incorporate them into a project.
- Comfort with forming hypotheses based on available information and iterating on recommendations as new information is uncovered.
- A proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, experience, project management, and creative problem solving.
- Experience managing and leading people; ability to connect with people both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower team members, and understand the strengths and weaknesses of the team to put people in positions to succeed.
- Willingness to take on challenging tasks, and ability to overcome resistance and take unpopular stands if necessary.
- BA required; MBA or an advanced degree is a plus.
- Previous work in / knowledge of the education sector and/or management consulting (e.g., McKinsey, Deloitte, etc.) is a plus.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization with an important social mission. EdSolutions is prepared to offer a compensation package commensurate with your experience.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.