Associate Online Editor
The Associate Online Editor for ASCD’s Educational Leadership magazine plays an important role in supporting ASCD’s digital-content strategy and its expanding online coverage and offerings. The Associate Online Editor is primarily responsible for managing and producing the magazine’s online content, including producing stories in a content management system, selecting and coordinating editorial elements in stories, organizing online content, strategically monitoring and updating website pages, and developing new online features and resources. The position entails significant copyediting responsibilities, as well occasional short form writing and multimedia production and development. The AOE also helps curate and produce ASCD’s online newsletters and contributes to its social media efforts and strategy. The position requires strong editorial, writing, and content-evaluation skills, as well as strong technical capabilities and an interest in digital publishing. It is an ideal position for a talented early-career or career-changing journalist/writer/educator looking to expand their digital content experience.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work closely with editorial team in planning and coordinating content for online publication.
- Produce and manage posts and articles in a content management system, including selecting editorial elements, editing images and text, and managing content tags.
- Strategically monitor and update web pages and content.
- Effectively organize and utilize images and other content in a digital asset management system.
- Monitor web analytics to track impact and develop new content ideas/features, including through search engine optimization (SEO) strategies.
- Curate and produce content for online newsletters and other digital collections.
- Write effective short-form and summary copy for web and newsletter distribution.
- Use existing content to create new online features, including checklists, toolkits, rubrics, and resource highlights.
- Write short news articles or resource highlights.
- Help develop and showcase video and multimedia features.
- Contribute to and effectively monitor social media channels.
- Collaborate with departments and stakeholders across the organization to align online content with current promotional priorities and coverage needs.
- Develop knowledge of trends and issues in education and digital publishing and occasionally attend education-related events.
- Work closely with editorial team to support and improve digital-content strategy and reach.
- Perform other duties as assigned and as position evolves.
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in education, English, journalism, communications, media, or library sciences.
- Strong familiarity with digital publishing platforms and tools.
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and experts in K–12 education.
- Professional writing or editing experience and/or related technical or digital resource-management experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong writing, communication, and editing skills.
- Strong technical skills, including working knowledge of publishing technology and platforms, including in website updating, photo editing, Adobe Acrobat, HTML, LMS, and CMS systems.
- Understanding of search engine optimization and keyword research.
- Professional social media experience and skills.
- Strong organizational skills, including in managing online content tagging.
- Video production and editing skills a plus.
- Foreign language ability a plus.
- A minimum of two years of experience writing and editing in a publishing or education environment is required.
- Experience working on online publications or digital content is highly preferred.
- Normal demands associated with a deadline-driven office environment.
- Telecommuting arrangements an option.
- The noise level is generally quiet to moderate.
- Daily contact with team members, external customers, vendors, colleagues, associates, supervisors, and staff at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to communicate and exchange information with others.
- Ability to use and be available during working hours on online collaboration platforms.
- Ability to perceive and inspect records in document/content management system?
- Ability to operate general office equipment.
This position description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
Key Position Designation: Certain positions are essential to providing immediate and continuing support for operations or support functions during an emergency or building closure. Employees who hold these positions may be required to work (at their worksite or remotely) when other employees are not required above. Please refer to the General Information section above to determine whether this position is considered a key position.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.