National Association of State Boards of Education (NASBE)
The National Association of State Boards of Education (NASBE) seeks a talented, capable, and inquisitive associate editor with at least one year of relevant experience to support its publishing work. The associate editor reports to the editorial director and will assist in copyediting, layout, and proofing and production editing of NASBE’s journal and reports, as well as writing short analysis pieces and coordinating with the communications team.
- bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, political science, or related field
- attention to detail, can-do spirit, organizational skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team, and ability to manage and track multiple projects
- excellent editing and writing skills and an ability to communicate clearly and succinctly to a policymaking audience
- experience writing and editing research-based articles, press releases, or news items
- demonstrated interest in education policy or public policymaking generally
- thorough grasp of grammar, style, and punctuation
- mastery of Microsoft Word
- experience with InDesign
- knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style
- Excel skills
- ability to think visually and create compelling tables, figures, and information graphics
- Illustrator, Photoshop, and design and photo research experience a plus
- copyedit reports and other material
- lay out reports in standard formats
- conduct research on education policy topics and the activities of state boards of education
- research and create data-rich graphics
- write blog pieces, updates, state case studies
- track editorial projects from inception through dissemination
- handle and track rights and permissions
- coordinate with staff and vendors on planning, design, printing, web posting, and promotion of NASBE work
- assist colleagues with meeting preparation and conference execution
- keep abreast of developments in education policy by attending related events and webinars
The National Association of State Boards of Education, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is the only national organization giving voice and adding value to the nation’s state boards of education. Founded in 1958, NASBE works to strengthen state leadership in educational policymaking, promote excellence in the education of all students, advocate equality of access to educational opportunity, and ensure continued citizen support for public education.
NASBE is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining exceptional staff and to creating a work environment that is dynamic and rewarding. NASBE’s work environment is safe and open to all individuals respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
NASBE offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Deadline for applications is January 26.
Send your resume, cover letter, a writing sample, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put Associate Editor in the email subject line.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.