Associate Director of Publications
PURPOSE: Advances Learning Forward’s vision, mission, and strategic priorities by supporting publications that ensure the integrity of Learning Forward’s brand and message
REPORTS TO: Director of communications
1. Serves as developmental editor for JSD
- Participates in planning editorial calendar and each issue with JSD executive editor, managing editor, and other staff members.
- Solicits JSD articles from practitioners, thought leaders, and freelance writers; works with authors and managing editor to shape articles from publication.
- Creates content as needed for JSD: works with staff to highlight internal developments, works with managing editor to fill holes as required.
- Writes feature articles for JSD.
2. Oversees creation and production of Tools for Learning Schools and occasional papers and briefs.
- Plans editorial content in consultation with other staff.
- Edits and writes content, often working with partner organizations.
- Works with designer to produce newsletters, papers, or briefs.
- Ensures publishing deadlines are met.
3. Serves as blog editor
- Establishes and maintains schedule for Learning Forward blog on EdWeek.
- Works with writers (staff, contract, and guest writers) in planning and editing entries.
- Contributes occasional entries as needed.
4. Serves on communication and publications teams
- Attends regular meetings as scheduled.
- Coordinates advisory board to get input on all publications.
- Works with other staff to plan and implement future digital directions for all publications.
- Assists team in planning, developing, and implementing publishing calendars, guidelines, and organization stylebook.
5. Supports Learning Forward as an engaged team member
- Participates in organization events, activities, and strategic planning and implementation.
- Engages in ongoing professional learning to further professional skills.
- Supports leadership of communications and publications.
- English or journalism degree or equivalent training or experience.
- Significant experience in writing and editing within education, nonprofits, and/or associations.
- Writes well and demonstrates editorial expertise.
- Understands current digital and print publishing technology
Location: Dallas preferred.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Please apply by sending a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. Include the reason you feel that you are qualified for this position and your salary expectations.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.