Associate Director, Media Relations
(Job classification: Associate Director, News and Information)
Emory University seeks a media communications professional with a keen news sense, superb writing and storytelling skills, and demonstrated success in obtaining high-value, high-impact media placements.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Media Relations, the media relations officer will play a key role in the development and implementation of integrated media relations and communications strategies that will enhance Emory’s visibility, impact and reputation.
Working in partnership with the AVP and other media team members, the successful candidate will identify and develop innovative ways to leverage content in achieving placements in national and international media outlets, including print media, broadcast, social and digital.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develops creative and effective ways to tell Emory’s story across multimedia platforms.
- Develops and implements external communications strategies that promote and highlight extraordinary teaching, research, community service, and engagement, as well as the achievements of faculty, students, staff, and alumni.
- Cultivates strong relationships with major local, national and international media representatives, and uses network to identify and leverage media opportunities for the university.
- Collaborates with Communications and Public Affairs division team members, including health sciences colleagues, to develop creative and effective ways to tell Emory’s story across multimedia platforms.
- With the AVP, helps develop proactive approaches to issues management; anticipates potential issues and problems that could have a negative impact on the university; recommends strategies and action plans; and works in close coordination with the AVP for Media Relations and other senior leadership to ensure seamless communications. Serves as university spokesperson, as assigned.
- Helps interpret complex issues for internal and external audiences with the goal of fostering understanding of and building support for the university’s priorities and mission.
- Develops and provides media training sessions for faculty, deans and staff.
- Monitors and assesses news coverage and trends; develops, implements and monitors methods of measuring impact of media relations activities.
- Works with the AVP to develop and maintain a comprehensive crisis communications program for the institution.
EDUCATION / REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE:
- Ten or more years of senior-level communications management experience
- Superb writing skills, a sharp news sense, keen analytic abilities
- Proven track record in successful national and international media placement
- Demonstrated storytelling ability utilizing video and social media
- Proven ability to organize, shape, and align priorities and projects
- Demonstrated knowledge of/experience in mainstream, digital/online and social media
- Demonstrated ability to apply research and strategy in planning
- Ability to work effectively as both a team member and a team leader
- Understanding of higher education issues
- Must exhibit leadership ability and be capable of working independently with minimal supervision to accomplish goals and objectives in a timely fashion
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, or a related field, is required; master’s degree is a plus.
- Preferred requirements include: Experience in working for a large, complex organization; experience working for an institution of higher education a plus; experience in issues management and crisis communications preferred
To apply, go to www.hr.emory.edu/careers/index.html and search for Job Requisition ID 69367BR.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.