Assistant Editor, K-12
EdSurge is looking for a K-12 editor who is passionate about the people and ideas that shape how learners learn and teachers teach. This editor plays a key role in defining our coverage of the K-12 community of educators and students, and how technology impacts their work. The ideal candidate will possess a knack for storytelling and helping others share their stories.
This editor will stay abreast—and sometimes ahead—of the news and conversations happening in the K-12 community, planning, assigning and reporting stories as needed. You will also serve as the voice of our weekly newsletter geared for K-12 educators and administrators.
You’re the kind of person who wonders:
- How does technology impact teaching and learning in different environments?
- What’s really working? What’s not? Why?
- What should administrators, teachers and students know about this rapidly evolving industry?
In this job you will:
- Keep daily pulse on K-12 news and stories relating to technology, organize coverage and report as needed
- Assemble, deliver and track results from our weekly “Instruct” newsletter for K-12 educators
- Source, recruit and edit submissions from writers across the education community
- Coordinate and manage editorial projects such as 50 States!
- Edit articles from staff reporters as needed
- Organize, speak and/or report from events (including ones run by EdSurge)
What makes you a great fit for this role:
- 3+ years of experience in a K-12 environment, preferably as a teacher or administrator
- Comfort in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment (newsroom experience a plus!)
- A passion for learning—and curiosity about the role technology is playing
- Outstanding writing and editing chops, and the ability to nurture writers
- Ability to work independently under deadlines with minimal guidance
- Strong interpersonal and public communication skills
- Familiarity with monitoring social media channels
- Ability to improvise and think on your feet
- Comfort with occasional travel
EdSurge has offices in Burlingame, CA and Oakland, CA. Both locations are public transit-friendly.
EdSurge is a venture-backed news and information resource organization that’s at the heart of the rapidly growing education technology ecosystem. We care deeply about our mission to connect the users, buyers and builders of education technology to close the opportunity gap by getting the right tools into classrooms. Our team is high energy, tight-knit and loves great reads, silly puns and giphys. We sometimes do science experiments in the office because—well, why not?
To apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and writing samples to email@example.com.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.