Assistant Editor, Higher Ed
EdSurge is looking for a versatile journalist who is passionate about the people and ideas shaping how learners learn and teachers teach, and is curious about what college will look like in the future. This assistant editor plays a key role in defining our coverage of the higher education community of entrepreneurs, tech-smart professors and the students they aim to serve. The ideal candidate will possess a knack for reporting and a keen eye for storytelling.
This assistant editor will possess an obsessive interest in the news and conversations happening in the higher education innovation community, planning, assigning and reporting stories as needed. You will also serve as the voice of our weekly newsletter geared for college leaders and professors involved in innovation efforts.
You’re the kind of person who wonders:
- How can technology dramatically improve teaching and learning?
- What’s really working? What’s not? Where is this rapidly evolving industry headed?
- What do colleges, companies and investors need to know?
In this job you will:
- Keep daily pulse on higher ed tech news and organize coverage (or report as needed).
- Write content and manage the production of EdSurge’s “Next” newsletter, aimed for an audience of college administrators and professors.
- Recruit and manage editorial relationships with contributing writers.
- Edit articles from staff and contributing writers.
- Represent EdSurge at events.
- Assist in the creation and delivery of weekly newsletters, podcasts and other media.
- Develop new ways to grow our online audience.
What makes you a great fit for this role:
- 2+ years of professional writing experience for a media outlet.
- Outstanding writing and editing chops.
- A passion for learning—and obsessive curiosity about the role technology is playing.
- Great organization and management skills: You’ll be managing relationships with outside writers as well as staff.
- Ability to work under deadlines with minimal guidance.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with different social media platforms.
- Broad understanding of major education issues.
- Basic understanding of business and finance.
EdSurge has offices in Burlingame, CA and Oakland, CA. Both are a short walk from public transit including BART.
EdSurge is a high growth, venture-backed news and information resource organization that’s at the heart of the rapidly growing education technology ecosystem. We care deeply about our mission to connect the users, buyers and builders of education technology to close the opportunity gap by getting the right tools into classrooms. Our team is high energy, tight-knit and loves great reads, silly puns and giphys. We sometimes do science experiments in the office because—well, why not?
To apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and three writing samples to email@example.com
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.