Assistant Editor, Education—Washington, D.C.
U.S. News & World Report
The Education section at U.S. News & World Report seeks an experienced, full-time editor based in our Washington, D.C., office who will be responsible for editing consumer-focused content for usnews.com/education.
In this role, the assistant editor will edit content from business partners that supports Education rankings products. For example, this person will oversee the editing of online degree profiles, https://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/undergraduate-degree-profiles, which supports the Best Online Programs rankings franchise. Specific tasks include:
- Editing content for subject matter, flow, consistency, tone, audience and accuracy.
- Fact-checking all data references.
- Copy editing for grammar, spelling, AP style, punctuation, SEO keywords and formatting.
- QA-ing content to ensure top-quality, error-free work.
- Working with the Education managing editor to maintain U.S. News editorial standards and timelines when coordinating with business partners and product leads.
U.S. News Education’s online content is aimed at an audience of prospective students and provides actionable advice for readers looking to make informed choices about higher education. The content from business partners – typically keyword-driven articles based on secondary research rather than interviews – will vary in length and format.
We’re looking for a candidate with top-notch editing skills, encompassing both copy editing and content/structural editing. Beyond the primary responsibilities noted above with partner-provided content, this person may also eventually be called upon to help out as needed with editing content from in-house reporters/writers and external freelance bloggers and writers, including articles, blog posts, slideshows and data-driven infographics.
This is not a writing position and does not involve content related to breaking news or education policy.
- Proven editing skills, ideally in an online journalism environment, with 2-4 years of experience
- Expertise and prior experience using AP style
- Ability to multitask (editing content for multiple products simultaneously) and meet deadlines
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and attention to detail
- Basic understanding of HTML and web production via content management systems
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and online analytics reporting
- Willingness to contribute as needed as a member of a small team
- Interest in and knowledge of both U.S. and international higher education is a plus
- College degree or equivalent
Applicants must provide three references in addition to a resume and cover letter. Please visit: https://usnews.clearcompany.com/careers/jobs/e60c2909-57a2-4508-876f-3af4cb933b48/apply?source=529435-CS-13314
We are offering a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package that includes health care, dental, vision and 401(k) plan.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.