Assistant Editor, Art, Editorial, and Video
- Reports to: Director, Editorial
- Staff reporting to this position: None
- Department: Art, Editorial, and Video
- Position classification: Nonexempt, full time; Union – Level 2
- Minimum compensation: $46,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Assistant Editor on the Art, Editorial, and Video team. The Assistant Editor serves primarily as a copyeditor for American Progress, helping assure the quality of publications ranging from research reports to daily columns. Working in a fast-paced, journalistic environment, the Assistant Editor also helps with daily production of the website.
- Copyedit American Progress’ products, including reports, issue briefs, columns, and other content for both print and web.
- Copyedit, post content on, and update AmericanProgress.org and other American Progress websites.
- Maintain the style guide and its grammatical and style standards.
- Maintain accuracy and overall quality of publications.
- Write headlines, blurbs, and photo captions, and select photos.
- Work on the conception and execution of special websites and projects.
- Provide operational support to the Art, Editorial, and Video team, including scheduling meetings; processing and filing forms; managing pipelines; tracking invoices and payments; and providing other administrative support when necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- One to two years of editing experience with an online component is a plus.
- Excellent editing skills, including a particular attention to detail and accuracy. Strong ability to work under time pressure and to work independently.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, particularly the ability to give feedback and instructions clearly but diplomatically.
- Meticulous organizational skills and strong problem-solving capabilities, especially the ability to keep track of many small moving parts across several distinct projects.
- Familiarity with AP style is a plus.
- Experience with HTML, XML, and CSS is a plus.
- Experience with WordPress and Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator is a plus.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position has a starting salary of $46,000 and is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.