Reports to: Senior Vice President,
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Nonexempt, full time; Union – Level 2
Minimum compensation: $46,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Assistant Editor to join its Production team. The Assistant Editor serves primarily as a copyeditor for American Progress, helping assure the quality of publications ranging from research reports to daily columns. Working in a fast-paced, journalistic environment, the Assistant Editor also helps with the daily production of the website.
The successful candidate will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.”
- Copyedit American Progress’ products including reports, issue briefs, columns, and other content for both print and web.
- Copyedit, post content on, and update AmericanProgress.org and other American Progress websites.
- Maintain the house style guide and its grammatical and style standards.
- Maintain accuracy and overall quality of publications.
- Write headlines, blurbs, and photo captions, and select photos.
- Work on the conception and execution of special websites and projects.
- Provide operational support to the Production team, including scheduling meetings; processing and filing forms; managing pipelines; tracking invoices and payments; and providing other administrative support when necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- One to two years of editing experience with an online component is a plus.
- Excellent editing skills, including a particular attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong ability to work under time pressure and to work independently.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, particularly the ability to give feedback and instructions clearly but diplomatically.
- Meticulous organizational skills and strong problem-solving capabilities, especially the ability to keep track of many small moving parts across several distinct projects.
- Familiarity with AP Style is a plus.
- Experience with HTML, XML, and CSS is a plus.
- Experience with WordPress and Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator is a plus.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a starting salary of $46,000.
When American Progress’ offices reopen, employees will be expected to work in the office three days per week. We will continue to monitor the current health emergency and adjust plans as needed in the future. Any changes to our current policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
Please apply through our website.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.