The Chronicle of Higher Education
The Analytics Editor will engage with The Chronicle’s publishing and reporting platforms — including but not limited to Iterable, Blueconic, Adobe Analytics and Google Analytics — to deliver meaningful and actionable reports, complete with context and guidance, to newsroom leaders and staff. The editor will work with our systems to improve their implementation and data gathering abilities, as well as their output in the form of reports and dashboards. The person in this position should be knowledgeable both in how to implement Adobe Analytics and Google Analytics, and also how to manage and analyze the data from them, including having a deep level of comfort working with data in Excel and on other platforms such as Tableau.
This position will help drive our understanding for the best ways our newsrooms can reach new readers, further engage with existing readers, and leverage platforms (social and other) to expand our reach. From this work, we would develop (and continually update) KPIs as well as best practices around a variety of tactics — from when we publish to headline choices to design decisions to how we engage with other platforms — to increase audience and content consumption.
Ultimately, this position supports the newsrooms as they seek to better understand audience needs and behaviors and make decisions to best meet audience needs. The right person in this position — someone who is inquisitive, analytical, thoughtful and action-oriented — will allow us to make smarter, more sophisticated decisions to meet our editorial and business goals.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate on the implementation and management of our digital analytics capabilities
- Collaborate closely with other team members to interpret data and answer editorial and related questions
- Conduct in-depth analyses on specific areas of interest
- Create, monitor, debug and troubleshoot data reports and dashboards
- Test and validate data
- Provide and explain insights to stakeholders
- Recommend actions based on data in line with our editorial and business goals
- 3-5 years of experience in digital/web analytics in a journalistic setting
- A strong background in Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics and Tag Mangers
- An ability to pull data from a variety of sources; typical sources include telemetry data from internal products, 3rd party APIs, SQL-based data warehouses and spreadsheets
- Experience collecting, working with, cleaning, evaluating and analyzing data
- Strong communication, analytical and problem-solving skills
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.