Journalist Scholarships Terms & Conditions
EWA is pleased to offer scholarships to qualified journalists. Scholarships may be used to offset the costs of attending the seminar, potentially including registration, travel, and/or lodging. Scholarships are granted on an individual basis, provided funding is available.
The following terms & conditions apply to all scholarships:
- EWA is fair and equal in all of its scholarship processes for all persons, without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristics protected by law.
- An application submission does not guarantee a scholarship will be awarded.
- Applicants may be awarded partial scholarships that do not include all costs requested.
- Scholarships are only available for journalist members of EWA who are in good standing.
- All scholarship decisions are final. There is no appeals process for decisions made regarding the awarding of these scholarships.
- Scholarship recipients agree to follow all instructions and deadlines in their award letter as a condition of their scholarships. If a recipient fails to follow instructions, EWA reserves the right to modify or revoke the scholarship award.
- Any requests for modification or adjustment to an awarded scholarship must be approved by EWA in advance in writing.
- Reimbursements will be made after the National Seminar concludes and only if the recipient attends the 2020 National Seminar in Orlando, follows submission instructions as specified on the reimbursement form, and participates in all follow-up surveys or evaluations by the specified deadline.
- All reimbursement forms must be submitted by June 30, 2020.
- Scholarship recipients may want to consider purchasing travel insurance to reduce the risk of unforeseen events that may prevent attendance. EWA does not reimburse the cost of travel insurance.
- Scholarships do not include reimbursement for additional meals beyond those provided during the seminar.
- If this reimbursement policy creates a financial hardship for individual scholarship recipients, EWA may be able to reimburse airfare early on a case-by-case basis. The recipient should complete and submit immediately.
- If a recipient must cancel after receiving a scholarship letter, they must contact EWA immediately so the scholarship can be released and reallocated to another qualified applicant.
- Journalists from the same news outlet may be eligible to receive a scholarship, but must submit individual applications in order to be considered.
- Scholarships are non-transferable.
The 2020 National Seminar registration fees and schedule are:
Early Bird: $525/person
(January 13, 2020 to February 16, 2020)
(February 17, 2020 to April 5, 2020)
(April 6, 2020 to May 1, 2020 or until sold out)
In 2018, EWA instituted the following schedule to the National Seminar registration scholarship program:
- Scholarship applications received during the early bird period will be eligible for a full registration scholarship.
- Scholarship applications received during the regular registration period will be eligible for a registration scholarship less $25.
- Scholarship applications received during late registration will be eligible for a registration scholarship less $35.
- Recipients or their news outlets will be responsible for providing any payment during the registration process with a credit card. This registration fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Travel scholarship recipients are responsible for arranging and paying for their Economy-level (or equivalent) travel at the time of booking.
- EWA will reimburse up to the awarded travel amount for those who attend the seminar and complete all required steps as specified.
- If the recipient’s scholarship includes car travel reimbursement (in lieu of airfare or train fare), the scholarship may cover mileage at the prevailing federal rate OR direct expenses (such as gas, tolls, and/or parking). Limits on the reimbursed amount still apply.
- Travel scholarships do not cover ground travel, including but not limited to taxis, mileage, parking, or shuttles between home and the airport or between the airport and the conference hotel.
- Travel scholarships do not cover other travel fees, including but not limited to baggage fees (checked or carry-on), early boarding fees, upgrades, travel insurance, or other fees that are not customary or reasonable.
- Recipients of lodging scholarships are responsible for arranging their lodging at the conference hotel.
- EWA will reimburse up to the awarded lodging amount for those who attend the seminar and complete all required steps as specified.
- Lodging scholarships are only valid at the conference hotel at the prevailing EWA block rate (or less), including the base room rate and associated taxes. If additional charges to the room are made (e.g., room service), recipients are responsible for those costs.
- Lodging scholarships do not cover hotel costs beyond the scholarship award and the parameters of the seminar, including but not limited to incidentals, early check-in fees, late check-out fees, room rates above the EWA block rate, parking, or additional nights at the hotel unless specifically approved by EWA in advance.