Application: New to the Beat 2018
Deadline: April 10, 2018
Please review the requirements below and submit your application online.
You must submit all materials at the same time. The link to the application is at the bottom of this page. If you have any questions, please see our FAQ page.
The Application Deadline is Tuesday, April 10, 2018.
Review the questions below. When you are ready, you will submit your answers online.
1) Your Contact Information
2) Your Experience
- How long have you been reporting on education?
- What is your specific education beat assignment?
- Do you have other assignments?
3) Your Editor’s Contact Information
Please be aware that to qualify for EWA’s New to the Beat program, you must submit a letter of support from your editor or newsroom supervisor supporting your participation in the program and providing a commitment to run at least one enterprise story informed by the program. Freelancers must also submit a letter from the appropriate editor at an independent news outlet that will publish their work.
This letter should be emailed to Emily Richmond by April 9.
4) Your Goals
- Why would you benefit from participating in the orientation and mentoring program? (600 characters or fewer)
- Provide a few examples of goals you would like to accomplish or new skills you hope to obtain as a result of your participation. (600 characters or fewer)
- Provide web links for two to three clips of your recent work.
- Identify the top two areas where you would benefit from professional coaching and support. (Narrative journalism, Data journalism, Investigative reporting, Enterprise reporting, Source developing/interviewing, Multimedia, or Other)