Who Keeps Billions of Taxpayer Dollars Flowing to For-Profit Colleges? These Guys
Investigative Reporting: General News Outlets, Print and Online (Medium Staff)
About the Entry
This investigation delves into the system for overseeing for-profit colleges widely accused of preying on vulnerable students, and uncovered conflicts of interests and other shortcomings in one of the accrediting agencies that kept taxpayer dollars flowing to the schools.
- Who Keeps Billions of Taxpayer Dollars Flowing to For-Profit Colleges? These Guys
- Methodology: How We Analyzed College Accreditation Data
- Who’s Regulating For-Profit Schools? Execs From For-Profit Colleges
- How a For-Profit College Targeted the Homeless and Kids With Low Self-Esteem
- Attorneys General Come Down on Accreditor of For-profit Colleges
- Accreditor of For-profit Colleges Agrees It Needs a Makeover
- Education Department Terminates Agency That Allowed Predatory For-profit Colleges to Thrive
- Annie Waldman, Reporter, ProPublica
Comments from the Judges
“Annie Waldman continues ProPublica’s blockbuster reporting on for-profit colleges and their misdeeds. Bravo for them for sticking with an issue that has affected millions of students in profound and negative ways. The initial story on the graduation rates of the ACICS regulated schools was incredibly illuminating and drove home the point that even after years of scrutiny, major problems exist in the for-profit space.”
“A lot has been written on for-profits but the focus on the accreditation agency is new, fertile and interesting ground to cover.”
EWA is grateful to the College Board for its generous support of the 2018 National Awards for Education Reporting.