Segregation and Integration in the Delta
Feature Writing: Magazines and Weeklies
About the Entry
This three-part series examines the living legacy of historic racial segregation and desegregation in a former “oasis of tolerance and pragmatic gentility,” in one of the poorest, blackest areas of Mississippi.
- The anonymous town that was the model of desegregation in the Civil Rights era
- Most teachers claim we can’t learn because we don’t have resources like books
- What happens when two separate and unequal school districts merge?
- Emrys Eller, Contributing Videographer, The Hechinger Report
- LynNell Hancock, Contributor, The Hechinger Report
- Nicole Lewis, Contributor, The Hechinger Report
Comments from the Judges
“Startling look by Hechinger at the ups and downs of integration/segregation in MS. Plus, the way it includes video with this series is really impressive.”
“Great use of details, characters, story structure set in historical context. Excellent and revealing read.”