Mississippi Child Care Crisis
Single-Topic News or Feature: General News Outlets, Print and Online (Small Staff)
About the Entry
This series delves deeply into the child care system in Mississippi, where low standards and weak oversight of child care providers perpetuate conditions that can put children at risk.
- Child Care Crisis: State’s weak oversight puts children in harm’s way in Mississippi
- Who should fix problems with Mississippi’s early childhood system?
- What do state records say about your child care center?
- High turnover and low pay for employees may undermine state’s child care system
- For Mississippi parents, child care costs lead to tough choices
- How the military created the best child care system in the nation
- Where are the missing child care directors?
- Sarah Butrymowicz, Data Editor, The Hechinger Report
- Jackie Mader, Staff Writer, The Hechinger Report
Comments from the Judges
“Really excellent work chronicling every parent’s nightmare … thoroughly reported, crisply written, well organized. Liked that they highlighted a system that works — real solutions journalism.”
“Excellent examination of an issue not covered thoroughly enough, but critical to communities. The reporting, voices, data and sourcing are strong and the writing clean and powerful. Wish we could see this for every state. Powerful entry.”