Melissa Korn’s Portfolio
Beat Reporting (Large Staff)
About the Entry
Higher education reporter Melissa Korn digs deeply into college finances, with stories on institutions that grapple with challenges ranging from overdue infrastructure repairs to relentless pressure to discount tuition.
- Private Colleges Court Community-College Students
- Some Cash-Strapped Private Colleges Cut Programs, Sell Assets
- Aging Pipes and Leaky Roofs Plague College Campuses
- Southern University Makes Plea for Help With Maintenance Backlog
- Private Colleges See Record Discounting Amid Pressure From Cost-Conscious Families
- Want to Hawk Coffee on Campus? Not Without Internships and Background on the Beans
- States Challenge Public Universities to Prove They Are Worth Their Funding
- Melissa Korn, Reporter, Wall Street Journal
Comments from the Judges
“These stories on the business of running colleges and universities that are battling dwindling revenues combined deep reporting and clear, compelling writing. Although the stories singled out the circumstances of particular universities or colleges, they captured the broader trends happening across the country.”
“Solid reporting on the persistent challenges facing colleges and universities as they struggle to stay afloat.”
EWA is grateful to the College Board for its generous support of the 2018 National Awards for Education Reporting.