Los Angeles Unified School District’s iPads Program
Hundreds of thousands of Los Angeles Unified students were going to receive iPads as part of a multimillion-dollar technology rollout – at least that was the plan.
- Internal Emails Show LA School Officials Started iPad Talks With Software Supplier a Year Before Bids
- Updated: LA schools Cancel iPad Contracts After KPCC Publishes Internal Emails
- LAUSD iPads: Federal Grand Jury Probes After FBI Seizes Documents
- Election 2015: iPad Controversy Looms Large in LAUSD Board Race
- LAUSD Ditching Pearson iPad Program Software, Demanding Multimillion Dollar Refund
- SEC Scrutinizing LAUSD’s Bond-Funded iPad Program
- Schools Dealing with Aftermath of LAUSD’s iPad Fiasco
Comments from the Judges:
“It’s immediately clear that the [the team behind this entry] did a HUGE amount of legwork, really impressive. … [T]his is obviously really, really good reporting and investigative work. … Amazing how the KPCC reporting really triggered the FBI investigation so clearly. This is why investigative journalism is so important. … Gilbertson stayed on top of all the developments, clearly knows the ins and outs of the story at this point. … Reporter dealing with a lot of issues that could sound like inside baseball, but she does a very nice job of making them relatable and understandable for a general audience.”
EWA is grateful to the College Board for its generous support of the 2016 National Awards for Education Reporting.