Los Angeles Teachers’ Strike
Single Topic News (Large Newsroom)
- Howard Blume, Los Angeles Times
- Sonali Kohli, Los Angeles Times
- Ruben Vives, Los Angeles Times
About the Entry
The Los Angeles Times education team’s careful, thoughtful and thorough coverage of the LAUSD teachers’ strike gave the the city’s 500,000 parents important information about and insight into the realities of the district’s finances and the real impacts of the strike on students, parents and strikers.
- What to Know as LAUSD Teachers Prepare to Strike Monday
- As LAUSD Teachers Prepare to Strike, One Central Question: Where’s the Money?
- L.A. Teachers’ Strike Brings Day of Disruption for Thousands of Students
- An All-Nighter, Then a Deal to End the L.A. Teachers’ Strike
Comments from the Judges
“Outstanding coverage of a complex, consequential and unfolding story told through a variety of approaches, all useful and compelling.”
“These articles took readers…behind closed doors to see what happened in the negotiations that ended the walkout. The blow-by-blow narrative of that last day was impressive for its detail and drama – you could feel the tension in the room as the mayor worked to bring the leaders of the union and the district to agreement.”
EWA is grateful to the College Board for its generous support of the 2019 National Awards for Education Reporting.