Jon Marcus—Higher Education Beat
Beat Reporting (Small Newsroom)
- Jon Marcus, The Hechinger Report
About the Entry
Jon Marcus provides an in-depth look at the struggles and angers of graduate students, the declining number of men and students from middle-income families on college campuses, and the astonishingly tiny number of Puerto Rican high school graduates who make it to college on the mainland.
- In Puerto Rico, the Odds are Against High School Grads Who Want to Go to College
- Universities Increasingly Turn to Graduate Programs to Balance Their Books
- In One Country, Women Now Outnumber Men in College by Two to One
- Already Stretched Grad Students Rebel Against Rising and Often Surreptitious Fees
- The Students Disappearing Fastest from American Campuses? Middle-Class Ones
Comments from the Judges
“Coverage shines a light into corners of higher education, illuminating how policies and institutional cultures affect students on the ground. His reporting is interesting and unexpected.”
“Impressive breadth and depth in this selection of clips, adding new context to topics that are regularly covered in education journalism. Data points throughout these stories are deployed in a way that helps the reader to understand the importance and scope of the issues.”
EWA is grateful to the College Board for its generous support of the 2019 National Awards for Education Reporting.