The Invisible Hazard Afflicting Thousands of Schools
About the Entry
Nearly 8,000 public schools sit close to busy roads, putting kids and teachers at risk from traffic exhaust that can harm their health, as explained in this multi-platform project carried out by the Center for Public Integrity and Reveal.
- Jamie Smith Hopkins, Reporter, The Center for Public Integrity
- Chris Zubak-Skees, Data Editor, The Center for Public Integrity
- Eric Sagara, Senior Data Reporter, Reveal from the Center for Investigative Reporting
- Fernanda Camarena, Reporter and Producer, Reveal
- Amy Walters, Reporter and Producer, Reveal
- Ike Sriskandarajah, Reporter and Producer, Reveal
Comments from the Judges
“This piece felt ambitious and fresh, and used data and geo-mapping along with in-depth, expansive reporting to tell an important story of another factor that could well be impacting student learning.”
“Topic is unique, data usage was strong, and there was a strong mix of experts and characters. Very strong package.”
EWA is grateful to the College Board for its generous support of the 2017 National Awards for Education Reporting.