“I Am a Black Girl and … ”
Single Topic News or Feature: General News Outlets, Print and Online (Small Staff)
About the Entry
Pittsburgh’s PublicSource offers a comprehensive exploration of educational realities facing many black female students.
- A story of two girls: Why being black means more scrutiny and punishment in Pittsburgh schools
- She lost her mom and her home. How Monet is finding a promising future in Pittsburgh.
- Who gets to be considered ‘gifted’ in Pittsburgh schools? Too few black girls
- Dezmaire gave birth in eighth grade. As a teen mom in Pittsburgh, she’s fighting to beat the odds and graduate
- Do black girls pay a higher price when comprehensive sex education isn’t taught
- Mary Niederberger, Reporter, PublicSource
- Jeffrey Benzing, Reporter, PublicSource
Comments from the Judges
“A good variety of stories that are extremely informative and richly tell the stories of individuals. It’s a topic that isn’t well-reported and this takes a deep dive.”
“Compelling feature idea, with fresh story ideas and presentation.”
EWA is grateful to the College Board for its generous support of the 2017 National Awards for Education Reporting.