Empty Schools, Empty Promises
Investigative Reporting: General News Outlets, Print and Online (Small Staff)
About the Entry
Kalyn Belsha led the Chicago Reporter’s investigation into Chicago’s mass school closures, and their surprising (and, in many cases, troubling) impacts on families, student achievement, and campus diversity.
- Behind sale of closed schools, a legacy of segregation
- In Kansas City, a lesson in transforming closed schools
- What happened to the closed school in your neighborhood?
- As closed schools go up for sale, transparency issues persist
- Thousands of black students leave Chicago for other segregated districts
- Kalyn Belsha, Education Reporter, The Chicago Reporter
Comments from the Judges
“A wonderful example of dedicated and creative investigative reporting.”
“Good topic and lots of good reporting. The reporter worked hard to get data that illustrate main points well in interactive digital formats.”
EWA is grateful to the College Board for its generous support of the 2017 National Awards for Education Reporting.