Documenting Student Voices
Single-Topic News or Feature: Broadcast
About the Entry
Chronicle of Higher Education reporter Julia Schmaltz explores complex issues including race, class, and campus free speech in a series of short films.
- Facing anxiety
- Ikie’s college dream
- A Harvard-bound freshman’s journey to advocacy
- With a degree, diverging from a well-worn path
- In a polarized climate, Libertarian students look for common ground
- ‘It can’t stop here – It needs to become something more’
- Julia Schmalz, Senior Multimedia Producer, The Chronicle of Higher Education
Comments from the Judges
“Great job documenting an array of student voices on a plethora of topics. It’s refreshing to see a new style of storytelling that raises awareness about issues that matter.”
“I love how the reporter approached this project by having the voices as the focus of the stories and not the reporter doing an interview.”
EWA is grateful to the College Board for its generous support of the 2018 National Awards for Education Reporting.