Colorado’s First School-by-School Immunization Database
General News Outlet (Small Staff)
Following a change in state law, Chalkbeat Colorado compiled and published a searchable database of school immunization rates in Colorado.
- Colorado, Find Your School’s Immunization Compliance and Exemption Rates
- Colorado Immunization Exemption Rates in Six Graphs
- Immunization Rates a Shock to Some Parents, Predictable to Public Health Experts
- Use This Map to Identify Schools With High Immunization Opt-Out Rates
- Health Board Votes to Toughen Rules for Opting Kids Out of Immunizations
- Expanded Chalkbeat Immunization Database Is Here, With State Database Coming in 2017
Comments from the Judges:
“I thought the team at Chalkbeat did an admirable job getting this data and making it easy for users to make sense of what was happening in their schools; the piece holds a strong public service component. ”
“This is a very smart investigation into one state’s immunization records and shows how little parents knew about the students they were sending their children to school with. This is a wonderful example of impactful journalism. And to boot, the story resulted in a law change!”
EWA is grateful to the College Board for its generous support of the 2018 National Awards for Education Reporting.