Beat Reporting: General News Outlets, Print and Online (Small Staff)
About the Entry
Erin Einhorn’s coverage of Detroit Public Schools includes close looks at the impact of school choice on students and families, challenges for campus leadership, and efforts by community groups and educators to turn around its struggling education system.
- On a superintendent’s first day, just another Tuesday for 37 Detroit first-graders with no music or art or gym
- ‘Possible, but daunting’: Inside Nikolai Vitti’s early effort to transform Detroit’s battered public schools
- Can this Detroit principal help her students learn quickly enough to save her school?
- How changes to Michigan’s school ranking system hurt Cass Tech — and helped the DeVos family charter school
- How generous private donations have created a tale of two pre-Ks in Detroit
- Detroit parents steered to ‘better’ schools — that don’t actually take Detroit kids
- Erin Einhorn, Senior Detroit Correspondent, Chalkbeat
Comments from the Judges
“Informative and useful … engaging, confident writing.”
“Very lively writing, creative approach to stories, with a clear grasp of the material and the political and social landscape in which she is working.”
EWA is grateful to the College Board for its generous support of the 2017 National Awards for Education Reporting.