The Boston Globe: Deirdre Fernandez
Beat Reporting (Large Staff)
About the Entry
Deirdre Fernandez’s wide-ranging portfolio on higher education in the Bay State tackles everything from admissions advice and student loans to presidential leadership and campus diversity.
- This is the fastest-growing segment of borrowers burdened by student loans
- Harvard women’s groups frustrated by efforts to ban them
- Harvard in a stealthy courtship to find its next leader
- Want to get into your first-choice college? Better book a plane ticket
- For black students, a college degree means long-term debt
- Harvard Business School makes a case for diversity
- Adjuncts help colleges expand their online programs
- Deirdre Fernandes, Reporter, The Boston Globe
Comments from the Judges
“Sharp writing and broad range of higher education stories.”
“This entry was comprised of diverse topics that showed the reporter’s command of the beat. The stories focused on the impact of debt were particularly strong. Well-reported and well-written.”
EWA is grateful to the College Board for its generous support of the 2017 National Awards for Education Reporting.