Bethany Barnes, Beat Reporting
Beat Reporting: General News Outlets, Print and Online (Medium Staff)
About the Entry
In her coverage of Portland Public Schools, Bethany Barnes dug deep into the district’s policies and practices related to “problem” teachers, scrutinized school safety measures, and shadowed an often-contentious search for a new superintendent.
- Benefit of the doubt
- Portland superintendent finalist shows selective view of Atlanta work to vetting team
- How a student’s call to action against sexual violence in Portland Public Schools is making a difference
- Fire risks: Most Portland schools lack sprinklers, need better alarms
- From ‘dubious’ to devastated: How a teacher’s viral mistake gave him an education on rape culture
- Portland principal who abruptly quit was under investigation for forging teacher evaluations
- After investigation reveals inept leadership, Portland principal put in charge of even bigger school
- Bethany Barnes, Journalist, The Oregonian/Oregon Live
Comments from the Judges
“Her work on the new superintendent search, especially traveling to Atlanta with the school board, is exactly what beat reporters should do.”
“This collection of stories showcases the range of the reporter and the depth of education reporting that is being provided to this community.”
EWA is grateful to the College Board for its generous support of the 2017 National Awards for Education Reporting.