New to the Beat Orientation and Mentoring
A Special EWA Workshop for Journalists Members
Applicants should be full-time education reporters with less than two years experience on the beat.
The New to the Beat orientation will take place Monday, April 20 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. prior to the opening session of National Seminar.
Additionally, participants will be assigned to veteran journalist mentors who will provide coaching and support over a six-month period. Reporters will be expected to produce at least one story reflecting knowledge and skills acquired as a result of participating in the program.
Reporters may be eligible to receive scholarships for travel, lodging and registration costs to attend the National Seminar.*
This is an extensive application, and space is limited in the program. Take time to think about the answers you provide. For questions regarding this application, please contact EWA Public Editor Emily Richmond.
Registration closed at 11:59 p.m. PST, Feb. 23, 2015
*Scholarships do not include the following items:
- Hotel costs beyond your scholarship award and the parameters of the seminar (e.g., incidentals, additional nights at the hotel);
- Ground travel (e.g., taxis or shuttles from the airport to the hotel, car rentals and associated fees unless specifically approved by EWA);
- Baggage fees – checked or carry-on;
- Other travel fees (e.g., upgrades, travel insurance, parking);
- Additional meals – EWA will provide meals and refreshments while the seminar is in session.