Education Writers Association
The Education Writers Association (EWA) is seeking a Program Specialist to help the national nonprofit membership organization produce high-quality programs and services that build the skills and knowledge of the nation’s education journalists.
The program specialist will work closely with a team of talented colleagues to conceptualize, plan, and deliver training, resources, professional recognition, and customized support for EWA’s members.
EWA’s mission is to strengthen the community of education writers and improve the quality of education coverage to better inform the public. As the national professional organization of journalists and others who care about high-quality education coverage, EWA has thousands of members from news outlets large and small across the U.S.
This position offers a chance to grow and learn about an array of critical issues in education and the news media, while connecting with journalists and experts around the country. Demonstrated initiative and success will lead to greater responsibility over time.
Located in the nation’s capital, EWA offers a challenging and dynamic work environment that values initiative, creativity, and enthusiasm for serving the cause of excellence in education journalism. EWA is committed to diversity and inclusion in every aspect of its mission.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop sessions for EWA conferences and webinars on timely topics in education and journalism, by researching issues, recruiting speakers, writing session descriptions, and leading speaker prep calls.
- Research and track issues in education and journalism.
- Help coordinate and carry out various programs and services, such as EWA Reporting Fellowships, New to the Beat, and online reporting communities.
- Report on and help apply member feedback on EWA events.
- Track fulfillment of specific grant commitments, including ensuring production, promotion and usage of grant-funded offerings and monitoring progress toward completion of commitments.
- Research and write blog posts as needed for EWA.org on timely topics in education and its coverage.
- Contribute to EWA performance reports for the board of directors and others.
- Carry out other regularly assigned duties – such as assisting with communications and social media – as well as other tasks as needs arise.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND TRAITS
- Top-notch writing and oral communications skills
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail
- Enthusiasm for collaborative teamwork
- Ability to work independently and conscientiously tackle tasks large and small
- Ability to think strategically, proactively identify issues, and generate recommendations
- Proficiency with a range of digital communications tools and platforms
- Minimum of 1-2 years professional experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Background in journalism and/or K-12 and higher education issues a plus
In addition to a collegial and rewarding environment, EWA offers a number of benefits for full-time staff:
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Metro accessible office
- On-site fitness center
- Health/vision/dental coverage (individual premiums mostly paid by EWA)
- Life Insurance/AD&D, 2x salary (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- Short- and long-term disability coverage (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- 403(B) Retirement Savings Plan (EWA contribution after one year)
Send a resume and a detailed cover letter (as attachments) explaining why your skills, interests and experience make this opportunity the right fit to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your salary expectations. Travel required. No phone calls, please.
EWA is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. EWA is committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of its mission.