Education Writers Association
The Education Writers Association (EWA) is seeking a Communications Coordinator to help the nonprofit membership organization tell its story and promote its high-quality offerings aimed at building the skills and knowledge of the nation’s education journalists.
EWA’s mission is to strengthen the community of education writers and improve the quality of education coverage to better inform the public. As the national professional organization of education journalists, EWA members include reporters, editors and producers from news outlets large and small across the U.S., as well as communicators and others who care about high-quality journalism on education.
The communications coordinator will work closely with a lean team of talented colleagues to plan and execute strategies to communicate the value of EWA membership, drive demand for EWA programs and services, market EWA’s editorial content, and enhance the organization’s visibility and sustainability.
This position offers a chance to grow and learn about an array of critical issues in education and the news media, while connecting with journalists and experts around the country. Demonstrated initiative and success will lead to greater responsibility over time.
Located in the nation’s capital, EWA offers a challenging and dynamic work environment that values initiative, creativity, teamwork, and enthusiasm for serving the cause of excellence in education journalism. EWA is committed to diversity and inclusion in every aspect of its mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and produce digital communications and marketing
materials, including website content, email newsletters,
announcements, social media posts, and other informational and
- Market specific programs and services, including webinars, in-person training events, annual journalism awards program, reporting fellowships, weekly EWA podcast, blog posts, tip sheets, issue backgrounders, and other EWA publications.
- Manage EWA’s social media accounts and lead efforts to encourage other reputable organizations to spread the word about EWA content and offerings.
- Work with development and membership-engagement staff to coordinate fundraising appeals and grow and diversify EWA membership.
- Work with EWA staff and consultants to develop communications campaigns to promote special projects, resources or organizational priorities.
- Maintain a digital communications calendar and coordinate EWA staff to meet marketing goals.
- Serve as lead to ensure production of graphic designs, produced in-house or by external designers, for EWA publications.
- Conduct research and prepare materials to support public speaking and writing by senior EWA representatives.
- Report on communications and marketing efforts and make
recommendations to optimize effectiveness.
- Review metrics on mass emails and develop plans for improvements.
- Report on social media metrics and make suggestions on where EWA should be focusing its social media efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Traits
- Top-notch writing and oral communications skills
- Sophisticated understanding of digital communications tools and platforms
- Attuned and responsive to the rapidly changing media landscape
- Collaborative team player who tackles tasks large and small with enthusiasm
- Ability to think strategically, proactively identify issues, and generate recommendations
- Superior organizational skills, attention to detail, and project management skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- At least two years of experience working in communications and marketing preferred
- Background in journalism and/or K-12 and higher education issues a plus
In addition to a collegial and rewarding environment, EWA offers a number of benefits for full-time staff:
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Metro accessible office
- On-site fitness center
- Health/vision/dental coverage (individual premiums mostly paid by EWA)
- Life Insurance/AD&D, 2x salary (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- Short- and long-term disability coverage (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- 403(B) Retirement Savings Plan (EWA contribution after one year)
EWA is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. EWA is committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of its mission.
Send a resume and a detailed cover letter (as attachments) explaining why your skills, interests and experience make this opportunity the right fit to email@example.com. Be sure to include your salary expectations. Travel required. No phone calls, please.